first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at the end of the day, the point is you don't need to drop this kind of money and stress over all these correspondence to get a great knife. TF is I'm sure amazing, but I highly doubt it deserves all of the clout. Is it better than any other knife you've ever tried? obviously, otherwise it wouldn't garner the price tag. But is it THAT much better than a knife thats half the price with equal craftsmanship? probably not. If we could get back to my mazaki drama now, that'd be great. thx

TF is I'm sure amazing, but I highly doubt it deserves all of the clout. Is it better than any other knife you've ever tried? obviously, otherwise it wouldn't garner the price tag. But is it THAT much better than a knife thats half the price with equal craftsmanship? probably not. If we could get back to my mazaki drama now, that'd be great. thx
Clearly you haven't tried one. And TF bashing was a thing way before Naoki 'don't buy my Dammy' Mazaki came on the scene.

Why do people complain about F&F. What's stopping people from buying a handle-less blank or a thicker blank with only a primary bevel ground, and then just finishing it solo or sending it out for a bevel and edge?

It's well-established that TF couldn't give a flying duck about aesthetics and fine finish, and then people go buy them (especially yo handles) and complain about the finish of a knife costing that much. Overgrinds too - if you're buying a 700 dollar knife, why is the price to have it ground to spec prohibitive?

TF is I'm sure amazing, but I highly doubt it deserves all of the clout. Is it better than any other knife you've ever tried? obviously, otherwise it wouldn't garner the price tag. But is it THAT much better than a knife thats half the price with equal craftsmanship? probably not.
It's a great knife, but I'd have to agree that the hype is getting counterproductive. I certainly wouldn't give up all other knives just because I got a set of TF Denkas with a perfectly even blade road.

Clearly you haven't tried one. And TF bashing was a thing way before Naoki 'don't buy my Dammy' Mazaki came on the scene.

Clearly I haven't, But I don't think that's the argument at hand. At the end of the day, its a knife. It cuts things, albeit very well, but does that warrant the extra cost and hassle? I'm willing to bet no

I think at the end of the day, the point is you don't need to drop this kind of money and stress over all these correspondence to get a great knife. TF is I'm sure amazing, but I highly doubt it deserves all of the clout. Is it better than any other knife you've ever tried? obviously, otherwise it wouldn't garner the price tag. But is it THAT much better than a knife thats half the price with equal craftsmanship? probably not. If we could get back to my mazaki drama now, that'd be great. thx
I never bugged them, I just dropped them an email with size and specs and the knives all turned out perfect.

I never bugged them, I just dropped them an email with size and specs and the knives all turned out perfect.

Out of curiosity, was that before or after you placed an order? I reached out to them a while back and got no response.

Clearly I haven't, But I don't think that's the argument at hand. At the end of the day, its a knife. It cuts things, albeit very well, but does that warrant the extra cost and hassle? I'm willing to bet no
Happy I bought my Denka a few years back, when the answer was, at least for me, a clear yes. TFs are made to be superb cutters and are world-class cutters indeed. However, at current price levels, they have to be collectibles as well which might be hard to justify (as the 14 pages of this thread exhibit ;)). Anyway, if you're after knives that just cut things very well, look out for knives that aren't mentioned very often and almost never popup at BST.

Today I received my knife and saw this kanji attached. Is that mean TF himself forged this? or am I wrong?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 4.29.26 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 4.29.26 PM.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 62
I used my new Denka this weekend a bit - have to say, it was a joy cutting, slicing, dicing with it. Glides through tomatoes, it seems to have a toothy cut, grabs on, almost sticks to the surface, until it slices through

Too early to tell clearly, but it’s growing on me very nicely.
The heel height also gives a nice dimension and feel to the process. Feels differen

now, I did get the lacquer handle, but Imit was a thick handle, so not that much slipping. The red handle looks striking though.

also, the blade is this purple-burgundy color on the top. Looks striking - not that looks are anything, but it does add something to the experience

is Denka KU? Would you describe it as a KU?

I grabbed my Shig Kasumi 240 to quickly compare cutting onions and tomatoes side by side

Denka better cutter, but Shig tip work with tiny shallots was unbelievable - Shig seemed better for tip work

but cutting ability overall?

those were my first impressions - nothing like the 2 month amazing Kaiju review today by @Omega today - incredible write up

I used my new Denka this weekend a bit - have to say, it was a joy cutting, slicing, dicing with it. Glides through tomatoes, it seems to have a toothy cut, grabs on, almost sticks to the surface, until it slices through

The heel height also gives a nice dimension and feel to the process. Feels differen

now, I did get the lacquer handle, but Imit was a thick handle, so not that much slipping. The red handle looks striking though.

also, the blade is this purple-burgundy color on the top. Looks striking - not that looks are anything, but it does add something to the experience

I grabbed my Shig Kasumi 240 to quickly compare cutting onions and tomatoes side by side

Denka better cutter, but Shig tip work with tiny shallots was unbelievable - Shig seemed better for tip work

those were my first impressions - nothing like the 2 month amazing Kaiju review today by @Omega today - incredible write up

Yes, it's got a Kurouchi finish.

However, it's not a "genuine" KU finish in my opinion. By that, I mean the color you see is most probably not a direct product of the forging process. There's some pickling that goes on in the factory to get that black stuff to deposit onto the knife.

Yes, it's got a Kurouchi finish.

However, it's not a "genuine" KU finish in my opinion. By that, I mean the color you see is most probably not a direct product of the forging process. There's some pickling that goes on in the factory to get that black stuff to deposit onto the knife.

thats exactly why I asked the question - it was unlike my Mazaki (uh-oh) KU or that of my Heiji, and I did

not that I want to introduce Mazaki into the Denka thread and vice-versa😂, well, I kinda do😂😂😂

Pictures please

Back