first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More of a general question, for such an expensive knife, are people really being over critical?

Or, do people really get knives with serious defects as I see a lot of chatter about some being superior but a lot also having real faults.
Mine was hectic. I didn’t know at the time, but the more I learned the more I realized how much work it needs.

It looks like it was ground while blackout drunk, just massive lows and random microbevel widths. That said it performed well ootb - I’m slowly making my adjustments, and will continue to do so until i have no complaints. It currently sits too thin near the edge (oops) and too thick at the shoulders, but I love how it cuts.

Maybe I wouldn’t have bought it if I knew all these things, but I’m happy I did because that steel is ridiculous, and it’s really taught me a lot about geometry and messing with it.

You don't say what your desired specs were, so nobody here can say whether or not they conform? The typical issues I've heard with TF are over grinds, under grinds, excessive thickness, and yes wonky handles. Grind and thickness issues can't really be determined from OOTB photos - you figure them out based on usage and sharpening/thinning. Regardless, I assume this is what you signed up for given the responses on this thread?

Best of luck with your new knife! I'm really sorry it took a solid year (!) with no communication and you're experiencing all levels of the infamous TF wabi sabi. And sorry about the house and work issues, but congrats on the baby! Sincerely hoping you enjoy your new blade.

BTW there's a shop out there offering a tuneup service specifically for TF - I forget the name but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.
Ryan at District Cutlery does really fine work thinning and tuning Denkas. Not sure if he does re-handling. That handle takes wabi sabi to new levels.

Great time to buy a Denka direct. With the USD/Yen fx nudging 1:150, a 210 can be had for less than $400 and the 240 just over $600.

Great time to buy a Denka direct. With the USD/Yen fx nudging 1:150, a 210 can be had for less than $400 and the 240 just over $600.
got mine ordered last month. I didn't think the JPY could go any lower, but here we are. Could have saved $20 on that 210!
Any idea what the wait time is like?
My order was processed July 27. Miho told me "about 2.5 months for delivery". I take that with a grain of salt and will be happy if it arrives before Christmas.

Ordered my Denka 240 western in April. Got it in August. Right after about 4 months. Spent $100 more than how much you would spend now.
Would be an even better deal if TF hadn't increased their prices. The 240 used to be 77000yen ($533) until fairly recently.

Looking intensely at those Denkas. Do you guys think the ebony handle is worth the 20000 yen extra? It looks much nicer with the KU finish, but that upgrade price seems a bit steep.

Looking intensely at those Denkas. Do you guys think the ebony handle is worth the 20000 yen extra? It looks much nicer with the KU finish, but that upgrade price seems a bit steep.
Yeah it's very steep (but a bit less so with current exchange rates). You can buy a KNS one for like 90 bucks or so if you're comfortable installing it yourself.

No probably not. If you really like ebony handle, you can buy it from here for $30-ish. Yanagi Knife 柳葉刀鋪 . Single buffalo horn

The ho wood handle that TF uses is really nice. Thick and smooth. I'll keep that.

There's good odds the handle would get installed crooked, twisted, and/or off-center, negating any upgraded value you expected. Better to upgrade it yourself later.

I think those TF handles are WILDY overpriced. I got a beautiful cocobolo handle from Jobone for less than half that price that I'll be installing on my Denka when it arrives. I asked in my order that they leave the handle loose when they ship so I don't have to deal with taking it off. They said no problem, but will see if they remember...

I also asked if they could leave the sticker off the handle so I could put it on mine. That was a hard NO. :)

Thanks @Heckel7302, @Delat and @Hz_zzzzzz (in no particular order ;) ). I just went ahead and ordered a 240 Denka, with the ho-wood handle.

I also specified the knife to be at least 55mm tall, thinner than usual, 2.5mm - 3mm spine thickness, and with a thin tip. Will be interesting to see what arrives.

I always treat ho wood handles with oil, this will be the first time that I'll try colored oil to get a brown tone. But let's see when it arrives - I reckon it might take a bit since I won't be the only one taking advantage of the favorable exchange rate.

I'm pretty new to knives and ordered a Denka Nakiri 195, 200g. Reason being, that I am vegetarian and enjoy the Nakiri profile. It's pretty hard to find a good looking tall+long nakiri out there, that is also low priced. There are Cleavers, but (1) they are mosty very large (2) have a non-flat edge (3) are very heavy or (4) the nice ones are really expensive as well. Seems to be a niche market.

I have a 165x52 $130 Nakiri, that I like but wish it were longer and taller (> 60). I guess I do have (a bit) larger than average hands.

Not planning to do work on it myself, as am totally noob.

Did you order from TF directly? @Jeezy and me have that 195 Denka Nakiri as well. It's a lot of fun, although the grind is a bit lower than I'd like it to be.

4H2A0508.jpg

Nice collection @miggus. What's the second from the top, I don't recognize it?

Yes directly. Any recommendations on the order process? You bought directly?

Last edited:
Thanks :) Yes, exactly, that is the knife I'd like to have reworked.

That second knife from the top - was my first carbon J-Knife ever. I bought it via a seller named bluewayjapan who is well-respected. Its SS clad blue #2, I think it's being sold rebranded under various names. Great bang for the buck, but needed a ton of thinning before it was fun. That's why it fits in well with the TFs even though its much better bang for the buck.

It was sold to me under the name Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni Blue Steel for what it's worth :)

I'm pretty new to knives and ordered a Denka Nakiri 195, 200g. Reason being, that I am vegetarian and enjoy the Nakiri profile. It's pretty hard to find a good looking tall+long nakiri out there, that is also low priced. There are Cleavers, but (1) they are mosty very large (2) have a non-flat edge (3) are very heavy or (4) the nice ones are really expensive as well. Seems to be a niche market.

I have a 165x52 $130 Nakiri, that I like but wish it were longer and taller (> 60). I guess I do have (a bit) larger than average hands.

Not planning to do work on it myself, as am totally noob.

Are you sure you know what you're getting into with a TF?

Wabi-sabi, right?

Wabi-sabi is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

Yes, be happy and content with whatever you receive. Marvel and cherish any unexpected low spots, for perfect grinds are boring. Don't get hung up on the exactitude of measurements—let the knife maker guide you.

Was joking of course, but I don't see an alternative for longer and high heel > 63 and low weight. Would welcome any suggestion - have 2.5 months of wait time. There is the Watanabe Pro, but it's only 180x56.

Back