First knife with wa handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currenthill

Reaction score
Hi!

I thought I'd show my first try at a kitchen knife with a wa handle.

It's a gyuto 210 mm in O1 at 63 HRC. The handle is maple with a micarta spacer, coated with Danish oil. It was fun to try a new technique. The handle is octagon shaped and 18x20 mm at the front and 20x22 mm at the end, so there is a slight taper.

I will certainly do more of them and gain knowledge to make them better.

bzTsFMLh.jpg

G3fVAqVh.jpg

cHL9x4ph.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very nice looking Currenthill. I like the profile, lets see some videos of it in action cause we all know how important the grind is. the handle materials give the knife a classy elegance. FF looks pro. Keep going...

Thank you everyone! Good to know that I'm on the right track. I really enjoy the collective knowledge this forum offers.

I'm was thinking about making a Nakiri next, which also gives me another chance at making an even better wa handle.

Have a nice weekend!

Great looking knife! I really like the look of the tapered handle. :doublethumbsup:

Looks great! I like the clean, understated handle with the subtle touch of red (I'm not a fan of flashy handles which, in my opinion, distract from the blade).

Thanks again! I'm now moving forward with the Nakiri. It's going to be a beast compared to the laser gyutos, with a 4mm thick spine.

I just heat treated it and it's ready for some grinding. Happy times!

j6oIe0S.jpg

Unfortunately it's in the same shape as in the picture. I had to prioritise some workshop improvements.

But I'll be sure to post updated pics as soon as possible!

I've been busy and haven't had much time to finish my Nakiri. But I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours this weekend.

It's now been ground (4mm at the spine at the handle and tapers to approx 1,3 mm at the point, and it tapers to 0,1 mm at the edge. It has a convex grind toward the edge). It's been handsanded to 800 grit.

I'm getting there. :)

JjU4DXp.jpg

HbTby6M.jpg

I finally put in the time and finished the Nakiri. I'm happy with the result.

It's in O1 at 63 HRC and convexed. The handle is octagonal and slightly tapered. I hope you like it!

xsEYNVB.jpg

IFlnx6r.jpg

hwAxMl0.jpg

btyPsQG.jpg

I certainly do like it. The ferrule is probably a little longer than I would do it, but personal taste. Great looking knife!

Thanks guys!

I'm learning and constantly trying to improve.

This is my second wa handle.

Extremely good knives.
Particularly like the clean aesthetics of the first one.
Like that last one too of course.
Keep up the good work.

Those are some great looking knives...well done.
The gyuto handle is very classy as is your logo/branding!

I appreciate the kind words!

Next up is a Gyuto 240 mm.

And I've always wanted a heavy cleaver. [emoji6]

Wow nice work dude! Can't ever imagine myself putting in the time to forge a knife :goodpost: Like the branding on your Nakiri as well, very classy!

Here's my latest. It's a Gyuto 240 mm in O1 at 63 HRC. The spine at the heel is just under 2 mm and it tapers to the tip. It's a full flat grind combined with a convexed grind towards the edge.

The handle is Micarta and mahogany and has a slight taper.

aHIIvdR.jpg

Fy8f0ai.jpg

Fe3tXH3.jpg

LdvVgxa.jpg

That's a sweet looking gyuto! Really nice geometry from what can be made out from the choil pic.

Thanks!

It's with a friend from work who enjoys kitchen cutlery. He likes it a lot. It cuts very well, he says.

Yep, electroetching. I built a simple etcher which uses DC for etching and AC for darkening.

You get photographic stencils made from your graphic/makers mark.

Then it's a matter of dialling in the process. The right etchant , voltage, amount of etchant, time under pressure etc. And it differs from different kind of steel.

Back