First (real) japanese knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhoff

Reaction score
Hi all,

I introduced myself briefly in the introduction thread, but thought to ask for help in the more appropriate thread. I am searching high and low for a new chef knife and hope you all can provide some very appreciated advice. I've been reading through many threads but have yet to come across exactly the knife I would like (within budget). I love the look of Yamawaku V2 Gyuto, but it seems impossible to obtain in europe at the moment...

So here goes

I currently own a set of Global knives and am looking for a new chef knife. Currently I have my eyes on a tamahagane bamboo style 27cm vg-5 steel which is on offer for about 100 euro, or a Ohishi 24 cm SKD steel chef knife for about 180 euro.

Denmark

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western mostly, but I have yet to try japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
24 or 27cm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Preferably, though I love the look of patina, the old dirty carbons thread is amazing.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200-ish dollars

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
At home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing and dicing vegetables, slising meat (no bones), chopping veggies.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Global g2

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip, pointed finger grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, rocking/walking (not experienced enough to know which one i consistently perform)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better edge retention is a must, nice to have feature: longer blade, if possible better aethestics (subjective, but i love nenox look).

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I love dark wood for handles such as Walnut. Not a requirement though. As much uniqueness as you can get from a non-custom knife.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I do not mind the weight of my global g2, heavier would be fine i think, less sure about lighter. Again I lack experience and am willing to try almost anything :)

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Easy to sharpen would be a good selling point, but I will learn with my globals and wait sharpening my new beauty until i know my stuff. Until then I will have to rely on a professional.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Yes please (bad joke). Edge retention is, as always, wanted.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
rubber, but willing to invest in new

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

For some reason it did not like an attempt to abbreviate japanese, in the title. No offence was meant.

Last edited:
For some reason it did not like J a p, in the title. No offence was meant, only an abbreviation of japanese.
That’s because it IS an offensive word. It came from WW2. Similar to German a kraut for example.

Terribly sorry about that. It was in no way my intention. Just edited the title. Took a moment to figure out how..

Last edited:
Don't know that Ohishi, but have good experiences with other knives under that name, and the steel. Offers quite some bite and a great edge retention. Use the finest stones only for deburring.
Globals are the worst imaginable to learn sharpening on. Get a cheap, simple carbon steel knife to get the basics: raising a burr, chasing it, getting rid of it. A Robert Herder Buckels breakfast knife costs a little and comes very thin behind the edge.

Thank you most kindly for the advice :) I still have to read up on sharpening, as I have yet to understand why the burr has to be removed I lack some basics even after reading and watching instructional videos :)

Thank you most kindly for the advice :) I still have to read up on sharpening, as I have yet to understand why the burr has to be removed I lack some basics even after reading and watching instructional videos :)
My pleasure, Dhoff. May I suggest Chad Ward's An Edge in the Kitchen? A bit outdated, but sharpening principles haven't changed that much...

And Mr Broida's playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB

Thank you again, I will take a look asap. The book looks very interested and is eventuelt available online (though I perfekt to hold such bookes in my hands while enjoying the Reader)

Thank you :)

I have chosen to buy a Gesshin Ginga 240mm stainless gyuto from Daddy Yo yo and look forward to trying the beaty

Don't know that Ohishi, but have good experiences with other knives under that name, and the steel. Offers quite some bite and a great edge retention. Use the finest stones only for deburring.
Globals are the worst imaginable to learn sharpening on. Get a cheap, simple carbon steel knife to get the basics: raising a burr, chasing it, getting rid of it. A Robert Herder Buckels breakfast knife costs a little and comes very thin behind the edge.

Do you have any suggestions for a cheap carbon steel knife? I have been searching high and low, but seems options are very limited unless im lucky and stumble on one in a thrift shop

oNNMLIo.jpg

130mm Pallares solsona petty ,XC75 carbon steel ,13euros, made in Spain. As your are in Europe, should be available easily

Thanks Tonkas, I actually like how this knife looks even though cheap :)

If you do prefer more belly ,they do have "Oktoberfest profile" too.

Boxwood handle. Mine is 12cm, don't know why i wrote 13 ;)
Size vary between 9/15 cm , they do have some stainless models also.

http://www.pallaressolsona.com/en/kitchen-knives-h-boxwood/

Really easy to sharpen .
As steel is quite soft don't look for edge retention, but it's a quite good petty and good guinea pig for your sharpenning steps , for few bucks

If you do prefer more belly ,they do have "Oktoberfest profile" too.

Boxwood handle. Mine is 12cm, don't know why i wrote 13 ;)
Size vary between 9/15 cm , they do have some stainless models also.

http://www.pallaressolsona.com/en/kitchen-knives-h-boxwood/

Really easy to sharpen .
As steel is quite soft don't look for edge retention, but it's a quite good petty and good guinea pig for your sharpenning steps , for few bucks
Any idea of the Rc hardness? Just curious, not that relevant with carbons, as Sab users know.

Latest posts

Back