First Single bevel: Usuba or Yanagi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

changy915

Reaction score
I grew up using chinese cleavers and currently alternate between a chinese cleaver and a gyuto at home. I usually use the gyuto for more delicate work and the cleaver when I'm in a rush. To be honest, I'm fine 95% of the time with these knives, the only issues are 1) when I cut saku for ceviche or tataki I just wish there's a bit more length to the gyuto 2) with the Suien Cleaver, it's heavier than what I'm used to and if I am preping for a bigger meal, my hand gets tired

I'm looking at getting a single bevel knife to try something different and debating between a Usuba and a Yanagiba. I understand that both knives are very specialized but I'm wondering which one would compliment what I have better. When I first got the gyuto it actually made me want to cut more and be more diligent with the cutting, so I am hoping to learn a thing or two from buying a new knife.

Do you only want a single bevel? If not for slicing maybe consider a suji? If you are only looking for single bevels you can try a Yanagiba (borrow or get a cheap one) first and see? I believe usuba is more for vegetables, but it’s your knife do what you like :)

Yanagi, an usuba and cleaver are significantly closer. Buy a 300mm one, budget gesshin uruka is good. If you can swing it a San Mai Ikeda would be stellar.

If you're using it for saku and tataki, get a yanagiba.
I use mine for portioning raw meat as well as fish.
Get a usuba if you want to practice katsuramuki...

Last edited:
I grew up using chinese cleavers and currently alternate between a chinese cleaver and a gyuto at home. I usually use the gyuto for more delicate work and the cleaver when I'm in a rush. To be honest, I'm fine 95% of the time with these knives, the only issues are 1) when I cut saku for ceviche or tataki I just wish there's a bit more length to the gyuto 2) with the Suien Cleaver, it's heavier than what I'm used to and if I am preping for a bigger meal, my hand gets tired

I'm looking at getting a single bevel knife to try something different and debating between a Usuba and a Yanagiba. I understand that both knives are very specialized but I'm wondering which one would compliment what I have better. When I first got the gyuto it actually made me want to cut more and be more diligent with the cutting, so I am hoping to learn a thing or two from buying a new knife.

I would definitely go the yanagiba route if I were you. Yanagiba is a drawing pull motion great for raw proteins. The usuba has a pushing cut motion which is a really refined technique to master on a single edge. This is better suited for vegetables, herbs, katsuramuki etc. The Usuba is giving you a similar end result that you're already getting from your cleaver and gyuto whereas the yanagiba will give you a much different tool to compliment your other 2 knives.

There are also other options too. Think of highly asymmetrical kiritsukis or sujihikis. Kiatoka makes a really nice single edge kiritsuke.

Thanks for all the advice, Yanagiba it is. It sounds like I can use the yanagi on fatty protein like pork stir fry as well, perfect!

Back