First time etching on a Mr. Itou

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krwlngicarus

Reaction score
So I bought a Mr. Itou that needs some TLC and first order of business for me was to re-etch the cladding. Here is the first side. Thinned on an atoma 600, then used a random 1000 grit stone I have lying around since I wasn't sure if it was right to jump to a chosera 3000 to get the scratch pattern smooth. Etched 4 times with full strength ferric chloride. Second is the finished product on the other side.
20200525_143614.jpg
20200525_143514.jpg

I am not super familiar with what he wraps his core steel with but I do know he uses R2 for his core.

Looking good. If you want the core steel to stay unetched, you can apply some nail polish to the core and remove it later with some acetone. I found that doing so helps reduce the drag

Looking good. If you want the core steel to stay unetched, you can apply some nail polish to the core and remove it later with some acetone. I found that doing so helps reduce the drag

Good advice, I might do it to my other Mr. Itou. I like the way this one turned out because the cutting edge, once I sharpened it looks super slick.

How did you soak the knife in the ferric chloride?

Acetone to strip any oils first with cotton swab, Q-tipped the corrosive for 30 seconds, rinsed with water, and repeated so that I could see some of the problem spots and even it out as I went along. Here is the finished product
20200525_223917.jpg
20200525_223937.jpg

I prefer the dark high contrast look you’ve achieved to the other itou. Very nice

Back