First Wa Handle, to epoxy or not?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't finished shaping the handle yet but suppose I need to consider how to attach it.
Options seem to be epoxy, beeswax (used to keep bees so have a ready supply but cannot for the life of see how it holds fast) or nothing. Just tapped it on and really doesn't seem keen to come off 😁
Is beeswax a real option?
20200507_120329_compress29.jpg

Yes. Melt you wax in the microwave. I use a syringe to transfer the hot wax to the tang hole. Let this wax cool completely, atleast 60 min. Heat the tang and plunge it in. It gets messy.

epoxy also works well.

Hey handle gurus:

Between beeswax and hot glue, what would you use if you had a large tang slot, so the tang really rattles around in there? It moves maybe 3 mm in one direction, maybe 1-2 mm in the perpendicular direction.

Is either option still fine?

E13EE6C9-5A80-48FE-88C5-234555421AB0.jpeg

I would only use beeswax to maybe seal and clean up the slot AFTER install. You can use hot glue, but it's messy as all heck and hard to get a clean finished look.

I prefer 5 min. Epoxy to set tangs. (I use long set for building the handle) Reason being is you can go a bit heavier on the hardener and it will be rather brittle, so if you want to remove it, a couple wacks of a 2x4 and it should pop loose. If not, heating it up will loosen it.

Not a handle maker but I'm fairly certain beeswax isn't going to work long term in your situation. If you haven't already done so you might review this thread from the always thoughtful @Kippington.
Hey handle gurus:

Between beeswax and hot glue, what would you use if you had a large tang slot, so the tang really rattles around in there? It moves maybe 3 mm in one direction, maybe 1-2 mm in the perpendicular direction.

Is either option still fine?

View attachment 86182
Beeswax is super easy. When done right it’s absolutely an accept long term option. Hot glue should work fine as well.

A sliver of wood and hot glue or beeswax. Hot glue will be a little sturdier.

When do you put the wood sliver in? Let's say I'm using beeswax and following Ben's advice from here:

1) melt wax

2) fill tang hole

3) let this cool to room temp, 10-30 min. This step is essential to ensure the wax bonds to the wood based on personal experience.

4) heat a clean tang and plunge it into the wax. Hold the handle /blade straight and true for a few minutes until it cools.

When do you put the wood sliver in? Let's say I'm using beeswax and following Ben's advice from here:
You could use the wooden shim, but It’s not needed. I have used this beeswax method on 1/2 inch round tang holes.

Back