First Wa style handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the oldest drill press you may ever have seen. My father got it when he was 16, and he is 85 now. It was an antique when he bought it. Really, I should post a picture of it because you just don't see tools like this anymore.

Sweet, you can buy one of these for like $15, called a Dremel Ceramic Wall Tile Tungsten Carbide Bit.
Put it in your drill press chuck after you've drilled out some holes for the tang slot in your end cap. You can connect the holes with it, and I'm sure you can set up some kind of jig on your drill press table to (semi) accurately make the tang slot wider. It's like a poor man's mill.
e697951f-2bd8-4108-90c4-25798bf1cfd8.jpg

It may not be the best option out there, but it's outstandingly good considering the amount you spend. Just make sure that it's thinner than the spine on your knives.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg, I found the thread. Your set up works much better than my dremel by hand method. Had no problem using the dremel on horn, but this brass was a B****
The good thing about it is that it makes a perfect slot. The bad thing is it’s pretty much limited to that task. This is what I want to build next but without buying the $550.00 kit.
I’m going to source the parts myself and change it up a bit to keep the costs down. Wanted to add that I’ll use my current trim router since it has speed control.

I would like to see your drill press too😁

Attachments

• F408FBDE-DB9C-47D1-8867-36C1711580C3.png
    F408FBDE-DB9C-47D1-8867-36C1711580C3.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 16
Have been tinkering off and on with this handle for a few weeks. The handle body is katalox, very dense dark wood. The spacers are aluminum and g10, and the ferrule is horn. It was an interesting project. Trying to both size it to my hand and to try and maintain the balance point where I like it to be. Generally speaking, it is a decent 1st attempt.

Now I just have to fix the blade, which needs considerable work as well.

View attachment 87851View attachment 87852View attachment 87853
this is beautifully done

Back