Media Fish n Poi - The Original Rehandle King

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, I was hoping that you'd come along here, you were one of Fish's best customers. :)

Well perhaps next to Andy I was. I'm about to unload some of my knives though, but still deciding on what I want to keep. I will probably keep the fish handled knives though as well as the one done by you and Stephan on the Shinichi Watanabe Mukimono. Dawn has fallen in love with that thing. :smile1:

Fish and Andy were the two pioneers.

I know Fish was an inspiration to all who have rehandled their knives.

Stefan, Marko, Dave have continued the tradition well, and we are the beneficiaries.

Mario's stuff is amazing too.

Yep, my gyuto sayas were influenced by Fish saya in koa he made for Carter gyuto. I have never seen that saya up close (only in pictures), so I don't know how it is constructed, but shape-wise it definitely influenced my work.

M

Fish facts>....Married with (I believe) 3 children. 2 girls and 1 boy....

I believe one of his daughters was in the kitchen professionally...remembering a story of a line cook who borrowed and tortured one of her knives - one that Fish had set up for her. I think that cook was spared only by the fact Fish was on a different island.

For those of you that missed the Fish experience, he used to put his rehandle jobs up for sale on the "For Sale" part of the forum - I believe the all time record was a sale in 13 seconds. I never could score one of his pieces of art.

I believe one of his daughters was in the kitchen professionally...remembering a story of a line cook who borrowed and tortured one of her knives - one that Fish had set up for her. I think that cook was spared only by the fact Fish was on a different island.

For those of you that missed the Fish experience, he used to put his rehandle jobs up for sale on the "For Sale" part of the forum - I believe the all time record was a sale in 13 seconds. I never could score one of his pieces of art.

He also did personal jobs such as my cleavers but he supplied the knives even for those jobs. Now once he got to know you it became a little different in that you could send him a knife to be done. I did managed to buy 4 knives from him on the For Sale sight though, but missed the one I really wanted. The other cleaver I bought was from the original owner with the rest order knife and handle through him.

Yeah I remember that story - too funny. :)

He rehandle golf clubs and with his woodworking back ground the knife handles were a natural progression .
the scope and trying different things some of the first to kitchen knife handles is quite impressive.

What a bittersweet trip down memory lane. Fish was a great man and a great friend, he is sorely missed. He was so creative and always trying new things and new designs. What an inspiration he is and will be far into the future.

Holy crap. This guy has serious game. :Ooooh::eek:hmy::Ooooh:

Thanks Fish! I never knew you, but my standards have been irreparably raised.

Another work of art has changed hands, and I just wanted to share some pics with the rest of the forum. It's a Masahiro M3 cleaver,and the wood is Brazilian cherry with brass furniture and a mosaic pin. I didn't have the chance to know you, but thanks, Greg!

a0102da5.jpg

2ef466e2.jpg

b99ba659.jpg

9a180cd4.jpg

d05e71e6.jpg

0d480510.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of doing business with this person, and I was curious on how much he charged for his custom work?

Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure of doing business with this person, and I was curious on how much he charged for his custom work?

Good question, I'd bet it's a lot less than those of us doing it today would charge.

Another work of art has changed hands, and I just wanted to share some pics with the rest of the forum. It's a Masahiro M3 cleaver,and the wood is Brazilian cherry with brass furniture and a mosaic pin. I didn't have the chance to know you, but thanks, Greg!

a0102da5.jpg

2ef466e2.jpg

b99ba659.jpg

9a180cd4.jpg

d05e71e6.jpg

0d480510.jpg

Is that textured ferrule, on the tip side?

I believe that I saw a picture of him using a homemade punch to make that texture. I don't remember exactly where, tho.

I believe that I saw a picture of him using a homemade punch to make that texture. I don't remember exactly where, tho.

You sure you're not thinking of David B? I remember thinking it was pretty crazy that he made a punch just to texture bolsters.

:oops: I think you're right!
Does look alike, tho!

I feel very lucky to have one of his creations. Cck cleaver with mango wood on page 1 that I bought from Andy. Serve me well until today and holding up very well in pro kitchen

Oh wow seeing the older Hiromoto and Takeda's was painfull. I remember long nights in chat with Fish and the rest of the old school guys here and there. I believe Fish sent me my first Japanese knife as he was the only one in the group that had my address at that time. I had bought a petty off him just a few days before it arrived, not knowing that Koki got stuff to you in 3 days lol. Fish and I where working on getting my heromoto rehandled just before his health tanked. We never got together again after that...

His work was really out there for it's time :)

One thing I love about some of Fish's western handles is that they're tapered/narrowed at the end of the handle. This makes perfect sense to me because if you look at your hand when gripping something, the area where your ring finger and pinky are is narrower than where your thumb, index finger and middle finger are. It would seem that these handles are super comfortable and relaxing to hold.

Here is one that some how I didn't post. This was one I had Fish actually buy the knife and handle it before I actually got to see it. It is a 150mm Hattori Honiseki.

Fish Hattori 150mm boning_1.jpg

I just saw this thread again and found the nakiri I have which Fish rehandled. The handle is immaculate and the workmanship is superb. Fish did a marvelous job. I use the knife rarely and make sure it is put up dry and clean. With the work Fish put into the handle, I don't want sloppy care on my part to spoil it.

Latest posts

Back