Fish scaler for small scales

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Was wondering what everyone likes to use for scaling fish. Like actual tools not your knife. Specifically for fish with small scales like pompano, not big scaled fish like snappers and such.

Interesting, I’ll watch this with excitement. I hate scaling.
The best tool I’ve used was a pressure washer, but I assume that’s not the answer @Danzo is after.

Interesting, I’ll watch this with excitement. I hate scaling.
The best tool I’ve used was a pressure washer, but I assume that’s not the answer @Danzo is after.
I've seen that scaler used in quite a fish shops around Brisbane. Seeing that the pros use them, I'd say there is nothing wrong with the tool :)

91EE90C7-C71C-4B79-8ECB-4E513F7617CA.jpeg

this is mine. Cheap and gets the job done, kind of. My kids call it ’the evil comb’

I have one I bought at a local oriental store for like 3 bucks that looks like this:

b12417e8-d0db-4d21-830d-61f723f6aa80.b85c615140232a60bd4351814dddf1eb.jpeg

Works well enough for me on anything I've used it on - definitly better than the spine of a knife.

I've tried lots of stuff over the years. What I have settled on is the edge side (not the spine) of a Forgecraft 8" slicer (this is just a random one from an eBay image, I am out and about). I'm usually scaling salmon but I have used it on smaller scaled fish too. I pretty much only use this knife for scaling fish and it works better than any dedicated tool I have tried.

Screenshot_20220424-104948.png

Hello everyone. Was wondering what everyone likes to use for scaling fish. Like actual tools not your knife. Specifically for fish with small scales like pompano, not big scaled fish like snappers and such.

Pretty much everyone on KFF is (or aspire to be) an avid knife collector—many buy/collect knives way beyond their kitchen requirements. That said, why not go overboard with this electric fish scaler?
https://www.autofishscalers.com/KT-S-Electric-Fish-Scaler
In my kitchen, I use the Japanese wood and brass model that others have mentioned above.

this looks like it will be good for small fish. the brass ones seem like it wont work well for the micro scales on pompano

I have one I bought at a local oriental store for like 3 bucks that looks like this:

b12417e8-d0db-4d21-830d-61f723f6aa80.b85c615140232a60bd4351814dddf1eb.jpeg

Works well enough for me on anything I've used it on - definitly better than the spine of a knife.

this looks like it will be good for small fish. the brass ones seem like it wont work well for the micro scales on pompano
I have no problem using it on Sea Bream. I've also stopped using it because we just skin the fillets anyway and the scales aren't very annoying.

I just use my paring or petty for fish like these. Lol!
Hahaha. Nah, the scaler is more efficient than a petty or paring knife on big eyed scad in my experience—many paths to the same destination.

Last edited:
The tines of a garden variety dinner fork is an awesome fish scaler. I don’t usually use a knife to scale. you need “fingers”. A serrated blade blows a straight edge into the weeds.

Back