Fixing Handle Cracks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I bought a folder pocket knife for half price knowing that the handle had a crack in the wood, so now I want to try fix it up a bit.

I know a lot of people use CA glue, but there are quite a few varieties on the market (Zap, Hot Stuff Special T, Pro, Super T Instant). Is there one that works better than others?

Also, I am going to basically follow the CA/sanding technique Mark talks about in this post on voids, but I don't have a collection of wood dust to blend things nicely.

Any suggestions on how to best do this for a novice in this area? It is a pretty small folder and I can just imagine me gluing it shut ;) Just kidding -- sort of.

k.

Is it a folder that you can unscrew, fix the handle and then re assemble or is it in 1 piece? I've used a few of the thinner super glues to seal up some cracks in bone handles and stuff. Seemed to work OK. I dunno of yours is cracked through or how you would guard against gluing something that shouldn't be glued. Got pics??

Is it a folder that you can unscrew, fix the handle and then re assemble or is it in 1 piece? I've used a few of the thinner super glues to seal up some cracks in bone handles and stuff. Seemed to work OK. I dunno of yours is cracked through or how you would guard against gluing something that shouldn't be glued. Got pics??

I'll try take some pics. I need to try out my new macro lense anyhow :) The crack does go all the way through I think (or mostly through). As for unscrewing it, it does appear that it can be unscrewed, but I would have to find the tools. They are the tiniest hex nuts I have ever seen.

k.

I've used Zap-a-Gap on a few handles and it worked fine. The biggest thing you have to watch out for is not using too much on the first application. This stuff is as thin as water so you don't want it to flow out through the crack and run out under the scale. I'd apply a drop or two, let it dry, then repeat as needed.

Latest posts

Back