Shiro Kama or Y kato for laser

• shiro Kamo kukokumo R2

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yoshimi kato Dammy R2

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

adam92

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m currently compare Shirokamo Dammy R2 240mm & Yoshimi kato sammy R2 240mm gyuto for my birthday present.

I checked the profile on KNS, y.kato Dammy is flat grind vs shiro kamo convex grind, even though my Y kato is convex with more belly, I don’t have any resistant when I cut though vegetables,

I already have Y.kato AS 240 Nashiji,(convex) but laser, ashi ginga 210mm petty, white two gyuto & takamura R2 210.

May I ask you guys for opinions? I been searching many thread but still don’t understand convex vs flat for laser.

Y kato heel 51mm vs shiro kami 57mm, if I sharpen often 57mm could be more life to me.

image.jpg
image.jpg

tcmx3

Reaction score
I would choose convex. you gain a LOT of food release relative to the increased resistance when you go from fully flat to lightly convexed IME

is Y.Kato really totally flat? I tend to associate genuine flat sides with factory made, laser cut knives.

tostadas

Reaction score
Y kato is likely concave rather than flat. You might wanna check that w the vendor if its important to you.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would choose convex. you gain a LOT of food release relative to the increased resistance when you go from fully flat to lightly convexed IME

is Y.Kato really totally flat? I tend to associate genuine flat sides with factory made, laser cut knives.
By moving the edge to the non-dominant side you may win some food release.

adam92

Reaction score

My Y Kato AS gyuto have really nice food release, I checked Shiro Kamo Dammy Profile similar to Kato AS, beside stainless, I assume the performance should be similar as my Kato?

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For that price range, this one is worth considering. Full convex grind, deep damascus, R2, and S Tanaka. They have 6% off now I think. Maybe the discount will be better on Friday.

adam92

Reaction score
For that price range, this one is worth considering. Full convex grind, deep damascus, R2, and S Tanaka. They have 6% off now I think. Maybe the discount will be better on Friday.

Unfortunately I’m not a fan of tanaka though, thanks for sharing.😬😬

tcmx3

Reaction score
Unfortunately I’m not a fan of tanaka though, thanks for sharing.😬😬
have you used one of his R2 blades?

Ive had a few S. Tanaka and the one I still have is the R2. it is a step above his other work IMO.

adam92

Reaction score
Final decision, shirk kamo, as y kato no stock from kns, I gonna update my review after receive. Lucky I got the last one kamo dammy!

tostadas

Reaction score
JKI has some Y Kato if you still wanted to try. I'm sure Jon could also answer any questions about the grind for you as well

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid flat grinds unless these are a rather narrow bevels like on Takeda or such and even those I would put a very gentle convex myself (it really does not take much of it). Otherwise they make sticking and drag worse. Concave grinds are often found on cheap(ish) wide bevel knives. User will remove those over time as the knife will be thinned. I would not buy a more expensive knife with a concave grind.

The hard fact is - there are VERY few knives with well made convex grinds that make sense for the user. Basically a Kato (the grind is not for everyone as it IS fairly thick), Shigefusa (I would LOVE to have one, the one I tried was a dream) and Toyama. There might be others (and surely many western makers), but I have not tried them yet.

... yes I have become picky over the years ...

Compound grinds (like Robin does them for example) are of course a different story.

Last edited:

Hz_zzzzzz

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ive had a few S. Tanaka and the one I still have is the R2. it is a step above his other work IMO.
I bought a 240 walnut handle r2 Tanaka for myself. These R2 knife recommendation threads made me realize I had sold all my R2 blades.

adam92

Reaction score

I only try his VG10 dammy 270 gyuto few years ago.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
I have the Kato SG2 240 Gyuto if u have any questions, I got it purely cuz I liked the pattern more than others in the same category and price range

adam92

Reaction score
I have the Kato SG2 240 Gyuto if u have any questions, I got it purely cuz I liked the pattern more than others in the same category and price range
Do you find yourself struggling with food release? Like potato. Is it slightly concave or almost flat grind? Does it stick to the food ?

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
Do you find yourself struggling with food release? Like potato. Is it slightly concave or almost flat grind? Does it stick to the food ?
No, never struggling. Potatoes never slide off of any knife nicely. But I assume that it may slide off of a glassy migaki finish better than the acid etched Damascus pattern. I don't cut more than 10 potatoes a month, so that negative doesn't outweigh the benefits of the knife.

adam92

Reaction score
No, never struggling. Potatoes never slide off of any knife nicely. But I assume that it may slide off of a glassy migaki finish better than the acid etched Damascus pattern. I don't cut more than 10 potatoes a month, so that negative doesn't outweigh the benefits of the knife.
I see, I work in professional kitchen, I cut heeps of vegetables, meat & sushi, I’ll find out how’s kamo work, if not my style can change kato sg2 anytime 😳😳😳

Delat

Dazed & Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re concerned about food release of potatoes, @captaincaed is surely the most fanatically devoted (some might say obsessed) expert on the topic you can find.

Last edited:

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
Reaction score
If you’re concerned about food release of potatoes, @captaincaed is surely the most fanatically devoted (some might say obsessed) expert on the topic you can find.

Haha! Well I think Brian took over my title with the Takeda stable.

I’ve been using an Ashi for the holiday, and have to say it’s pretty damn good. No pics unfortunately.

I will have two new videos up soon, but I’m out of town now, need to do some editing before they’re ready.

So far my tops are Bidinger B-grind and Kippington hook grind and Bazes forged hollow. All three are made of Teflon. Nothing sticks. Every convex-only grind I’ve ever seen has had some sticking. I’m convinced you need a hollow of some sort for bulletproof food release. You need a little convexity to start, and then either a crisp transition or some texture that prevents sticking in the hollow. I’m also convinced you really don’t need a ton of convexity on the blade road. The Bazes is 1.8mm at the spine above the heel. With one of those two combos, you’re golden. There are some CNC-cut patterns like the feather grind that look awesome in performance test, but I’d never want to clean them. Can you imagine chicken tendon dried in there? No thanks.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
I try to avoid flat grinds unless these are a rather narrow bevels like on Takeda or such and even those I would put a very gentle convex myself (it really does not take much of it). Otherwise they make sticking and drag worse. Concave grinds are often found on cheap(ish) wide bevel knives. User will remove those over time as the knife will be thinned. I would not buy a more expensive knife with a concave grind.

The hard fact is - there are VERY few knives with well made convex grinds that make sense for the user. Basically a Kato (the grind is not for everyone as it IS fairly thick), Shigefusa (I would LOVE to have one, the one I tried was a dream) and Toyama. There might be others (and surely many western makers), but I have not tried them yet.

... yes I have become picky over the years ...

Compound grinds (like Robin does them for example) are of course a different story.
You convex takedas? They already have elite champion type food release.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You convex takedas? They already have elite champion type food release.
I meant that Takeda belongs to those exceptions as their bevel is so narrow.