Flatten bevel and Kasumi polish Tesshu 270mm yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother-in-law asked me to help him purchase a yanagiba a few months ago. Since he was coming home to get married I decided to gift one for a wedding present.
I enjoy working on single bevel blades and appreciate the information shared on the other Kasumi and bevel finishing threads here, so I thought I would show the work I did on this yanagiba.

I began flattening and raising the shinogi line on a shapton glass 500.
IMG_1147.jpg
I like this stone for initial grinding. It's reasonably fast but still gives me a crisp shinogi line.

Next I raise a slurry on an Aizu with a 140 Atoma and work on the edge a center bevel.IMG_1148.jpg
Trying to remove the minimum amount of metal necessary to even the bevel, J-nats slower speed is helpful here.

Controlling pressure and quality(volume and water content) of the slurry gives a pretty even finish.
IMG_1149.jpg
Could stop here, I like this finish here but lets move on.

Refining finish on Atagoyama.
IMG_1150.jpg
After working blade on the stone I use a small piece of cotton fabric to polish using the slurry. This helps to even the finish.

Next Uchimagori finger stone.
IMG_1151.jpg

Finished by working the higane on a Naniwa Junpaku 8000 then the entire bevel on a soft Nakayama Koppa. I then polished the entire blade with Flitz. Sorry, did not take photos of the final steps.

Final finish.
IMG_1249.jpg
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Finished Knife ready to deliver.
IMG_1311.jpg

Really had fun working on this knife. I'll miss having it around. Well until the time it needs sharping, So long!

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 162
Oh wow, I would pay to have a level of work like that.

How do you use the Naniwa pure white? I need to raise a lot of slurry, and sometimes get loading on the stone that leaves some streaks.

Now THAT'S beautiful! Good job!
Thanks andur

Oh wow, I would pay to have a level of work like that.
Thank you V1P, flattered

Looks amazing!
Thanks Mike, waiting for you to cross the J-nat blackhole event horizon:shocked3: ( if you haven't already):biggrin:

How do you use the Naniwa pure white? I need to raise a lot of slurry, and sometimes get loading on the stone that leaves some streaks.
XooMG, I concentrated pressure just on the edge to polish the higane to a more mirror finish. I did not raise a slurry other then what the blade generated. Where it hit the jigane it did cause streaking so I went back over it with finger stones then proceeded to the fine soft Nakayama. I used the Naniwa because it polished the higane faster then the my naturals.

Latest posts

Back