Flattening and prepping a Kitayama 8k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotem Shoshani

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for double threading here as I've seen a couple of similar results in the forum search but most talk about Jnat.

I think I'm killing the edges after working on my Kitayama 8k, I think the middle of the stone is dished and the edges just make my final edge a micro serrated bread knife.

I have an Atoma 140, Choseras 400, 800 & 3000 and a full set by Yoshihiro (echefknive...?), I think a 1000, 3000 & 8000, hardly sure if any of those grits are true as advertised, the stones are far off my Choseras.
So I have these at hand to condition the Kitayama after the Atoma, also a small white Nagura that came with the Yoshihiro & a couple of Naniwa dressing stone.
So I really want to avoid those chippy edges, how do I go about conditioning this stone?
Atoma then something to smoothen surface?

Thanks!

I just use my 140 Atoma and then work up a little slurry with the Nagura that came with my Kitayama

Is this the white little small brick that comes with many stones?

I specifically wanted my Kitayama baseless, so it came without a nagura.

you can rub any high grit stone on a lower grit one to flatten it. and also to refresh the surface when it stops cutting and to clean it.

i rub my 12k and 8k shaptons for flattening/resurfacing/cleaning. and i alos use a 1k or 500 to clean and refresh my 2-6k stones.

I've never seen this, so I have no prior experience.
Make sure you round the stone's edges more then chamfer them, as that might give you some headaches as well.
One possible problem could be the fact that Kitayama is a fast stone and if you don't have a very clean edge, the surface will load and needs maintenance.
With very thin edges anything makes a difference. Don't use pressure, follow the bevel as best as you can and observe the edge with some magnifying glass to make it easier.

After having many problems with dishing and feeling frustrated, a video on YouTube of a japanese craftsman showing that dishing is caused by static placement. It's not strictly about lapping but moving your pressure points around the stone. This has helped me immensely.

Use the 140 to flatten and chamfer the edges. Build some mud with a fine diamond plate or nagura conditioning the surface at the same time. Use the whole stone to help minimize dishing. If you get it really muddy and work it until it’s black and dry it will bring a mirror shine to the edge... assuming you want it. I’m on my third over the years and it’s a lovely stone.

Back