Flattening ShaptonGlass 320 stone.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby2shots

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've recently purchased some ShaptonGlass stones (320/1000/4000/8000) and the DGLP (DiamondGlass Lapping Plate). Since the DGLP cannot be used on ShaptonGlass stones below 500 grit, I'm looking for a solution and wondering what flattening method you fellow ShaptonGlass 320 owners have been using, and what kind of result you're getting..

FWIW, I presently have two Atoma diamond plates (400/1200), plus the Large Naniwa 220 flattening plate, and a Norton 220 flattening plate. If you feel abrasive powders would be a better option,,,I'll order some,,, or perhaps, get two more 320's and use the three-stone method?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Bob

Last edited:
Two more 320's and the three-stone-method ist another option, but it is also more expensive.

Atoma 140 works great for me with SG 320.
Your 400 would work in a pinch.
Trade off the Naniwa and Norton?

Thanks Joe, but I need them both,, one for my woodwork shop, and the large Naniwa in the kitchen. I just recently bought the large Naniwa plate, and haven't tried it yet,, so I'm not sure how that would work with the SG320.

I mis-spoke about the Norton,,, it's a 220 grit coarse stone,,,, not the grooved flattening stone.

I use a glass plate and loose sic powder, 60 grit. No problem.

I've been trying to find a local source for SiC powder,,, I've got the plate glass, but it needs to be cut to size and trimmed.(polished edges) I'll try one of the local auto-parts stores, but there's not much around these parts.(small town/ and hour west of Montreal.)

Hi Yet-Another-Dave,

Yes, I've seen the Lee Valley powders, but if I remember correctly, they're aluminum oxide. I may be able to get some silicon carbide at the local auto-parts store. Another possibility is from PaulsFinest.com , but as with many suppliers here in Canada, you don't get free shipping unless you've ordered over $99.99. Amazon.ca has them, but again, with a minimum $35.00 order.

Get an Atoma 140 and skip the powders, to much trouble and messy. Use the Atoma on your low grits and the DGLP on the higher.

Yeah, that's the plan here, although, I've seen lots of comments from Atoma 140 users that it's too aggressive. I bought the 400 and 1200 Atoma's thinking I'll try the 400 first to see if it meets my needs, but I've got nothing that needs sharpening at the moment.

I've recently found a decent deal on the Atoma 140,,, and I'll decide shortly. Winter's almost here (we've had two nights of freezing temperatures last week) and I've got to buy new winter tires$$$$,,, and my snowblower needs a major repair $$$$. Plus, my neighbour and I are splitting costs on removing a huge tree that's endangering both our properties.$$$$. I may have to cool it for a while. I may wait 'til the Black Friday sales.

The Atoma 140 works great on low grit stones but I don't like using it on knives for any reason. The scratch pattern is just too much of a pain to clean up.
You will wear out the 400 prematurely using it on stones 320 and under.

you can use the atoma 400 for flattening all non diamond stones. its just slower than the 140.

there is no reason flattening stones below 500 though. they wear so fast you can simply grind on a high spot to flatten them. glass stones are the slowest wearing ones i've tried though.

Flattening stones does wear on diamond plates. Using a slower plate means having to use it longer which in turn wears it out faster. For the majority, just sharpening on the high spots makes you more prone to mistakes and is a lot more trouble than just flattening the stone.

I contacted Shapton directly this week, and got a somewhat stoic reply which suggested "other maker's 220 might work on the SG320". and that " it is unsure about the 400 and 600 diamond plates".

For now, I think I'll try my 220 Norton and Naniwa plates and see how those work on the SG320. I might also be able to flatten both 220's on each other. If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can add a second Naniwa large 220 plate for $67. CDN ($50. U.S.) and use those to flatten each other, as well as the SG320. My dealer also carries 60 grit SiC powder and 240 grit Aluminum Oxide powder. Both are $7.95 CDN for a 1/2 lb. bag.($6. U.S.)

The 3-stone set-up (3 x SG320 plates) would set me back another $116. ($58. CDN ea.) This would probably be the cleanest set-up.

@Jon

@JBroida It might be a good idea to add the measurement of that plate to your website. I would have had no idea how big it actually is if it hadn't been for one of the comments.

What's the abrasive on that plate?

It's ok. I told Jon he should stock it...when he already did. I missed it because Suehiro calls it the Tairagain...

Not all Australians! ;)
Finding the dimensions under measurements seems fairly reasonable to me...
To me, too.

But, given how little information is present on that page, the tabs make no sense whatsoever. Tabs are normally used to organise information into categories when there is too much to absorb it all. In this case, a much more ergonomic and user-friendly approach would be to ditch the tabs and to just show the information all on one page.

From my expirence, flattening stones under 1k on Diamond Plates makes them way slower, 80 grit SiC and a granite plate works best.

Regards

Uwe

Back