Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People should be required to sign a form (with scan of ID) and provide employment information that they work in a pro environment and/or provide photos of their vast collection that they are collectors and not flippers, this prevent flippers from participating in lotteries.

Also I think the mods should expand the mod team to constantly monitor online stores for prices for different knives/products and include them in a sticky post here so everyone can see the price of the product more or less live - this way folks can identify flippers vs non flippers. Also would be cool if we can have the vendors here constantly supply the knives in demand to the mods and admins and they list them in BST at same vendor prices (there should be a tracking system as to who has bought one recently vs one who has not, we should beef up the forum sign up to include IDs required to avoid dupe accounts as well). This way folks don't need to risk buying from a mystery reseller and possible flipper prices.

People should be required to sign a form (with scan of ID) and provide employment information that they work in a pro environment and/or provide photos of their vast collection that they are collectors and not flippers, this prevent flippers from participating in lotteries.

So you're saying that because I'm a home cook with 6 knives total that I can't participate in a lottery?

Geeze, that would kill B/S/T, as no one would be able to keep up with what you are requesting. And I am sure Mods do not want to be middle men.

If you are a buyer, just do your own dang due diligence, and don't expect others to be responsible to keep you from 'overpaying.' In my opinion the main thing the Mods need to watch for are those who are using B/S/T as a business instead of being registered as a vendor.

Geeze, that would kill B/S/T, as no one would be able to keep up with what you are requesting. And I am sure Mods do not want to be middle men.

If you are a buyer, just do your own dang due diligence, and don't expect others to be responsible to keep you from 'overpaying.' In my opinion the main thing the Mods need to watch for are those who are using B/S/T as a business instead of being registered as a vendor.

its short term pain imo and would totally provide the governance bst needs.

but you really arent a business unless you really are a business. it's going to be hard to define the line imo. someone can say blah blah they got it and now they just want to let it go at mkt prices (which nothing is wrong with that)

You are not going to stop flippers regardless of what rules you come up with. Trying to make it harder to flip here will probably just make it harder for the everyday Joe to sell a knife while the flipper will just do it through PMs or on one of the many other forums open to them. They will still make their money.

If you want the knife and are willing to pay the price then do it, if not then don't. It's that easy and all you can really do.

You are not going to stop flippers regardless of what rules you come up with. Trying to make it harder to flip here will probably just make it harder for the everyday Joe to sell a knife while the flipper will just do it through PMs or on one of the many other forums open to them. They will still make their money.

If you want the knife and are willing to pay the price then do it, if not then don't. It's that easy and all you can really do.

The whole point is to get them to go somewhere else...and stop ruining this place...

i kind of want to try to land one of these, then sell on bst for same price i got it for so that someone who genuinely wants one gets a fair shake at getting one without inflated price. then maybe the good karma will come back my way when i'm trying to find a rare piece.

I was lucky enough to snag a Kato WH 240 from JNS earlier this year. Knowing another forum member was looking for one, I sold it to him at a slightly higher price so I could net what I paid after shipping. Worked out for everyone because I realized right after I purchased it that I'd never use it, but for some reason I wanted to buy it because it was available. LOL!

Also I think the mods should expand the mod team to constantly monitor online stores for prices for different knives/products and include them in a sticky post here so everyone can see the price of the product more or less live - this way folks can identify flippers vs non flippers. Also would be cool if we can have the vendors here constantly supply the knives in demand to the mods and admins and they list them in BST at same vendor prices (there should be a tracking system as to who has bought one recently vs one who has not, we should beef up the forum sign up to include IDs required to avoid dupe accounts as well). This way folks don't need to risk buying from a mystery reseller and possible flipper prices.

Are you trying to be funny?

what really ruins it for us are the buyers with too much money who are willing to pay inflated prices, *cough collectors

I don't mean to perpetuate this thread, but I agree with this statement 100%. Which means I'm part of the problem (aside from having too much money :biggrin:). I'm not a collector but wanted to see what the hype was all about. I overpaid for my Kato standard and WH because I knew I had little to no chance in finding others for sale. That's the problem - collector's aside, people like me that want to get our hands on these knives and USE THEM need to pay to play otherwise we'll be waiting (maybe) forever to find them at reasonable prices. Is it possible to find them - sure - but you gotta be extremely lucky with timing. It's a cycle that will never end as long as there are people willing to pay up for whatever reason. It will only end when demand has fallen to a level where nobody cares about them because there are other "IT" knives that have higher demand. *SHRUG*

I'm sure pretty much anything on this subject has already been said 10 times...

Ban kato and shigs from bst, end this whole discussion. Easy peasy.

what really ruins it for us are the buyers with too much money who are willing to pay inflated prices, *cough collectors
Those like me have to pay the inflated prices or we will never be able to experience some of these rare knives. When something is rare and in demand you pay a premium for it. It's that way for any material item and knives are no exception. That's just how the world works.

Those like me have to pay the inflated prices or we will never be able to experience some of these rare knives. When something is rare and in demand you pay a premium for it. It's that way for any material item and knives are no exception. That's just how the world works.

Again, this is how the outside world works...up until about 2 years ago it wasn't how this forum worked...

Really just blows my mind how so many people can argue against a position that they choose not to understand in the first place.
I understand the position just fine Mr. Arrogance. I'm not arguing for or against anything just stating how it is. You can take your holier than thou attitude all you want but it doesn't change how it is.

why do you even want to experience these rare knives, simply because they are rare right?

As an aside, when I read this thread I always think it's referring to Katos and Shigs...

For me personally, the rarity aspect had absolutely nothing to do with it. I wanted to experience for myself what others have described in a multitude of reviews - the outstanding construction, finish and performance of Katos and Shigs. I get it, you don't care about owning any of these "rare" knives, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and at the same time own a blade made by renowned smiths that likely won't be around much longer. That last part most certainly sounds like "collector" talk, and partially for the Shig, is the reason I'm keeping mine. But the Katos, wow, I'm impressed and won't be giving them up antyime soon if I can help it.

I understand the position just fine Mr. Arrogance. I'm not arguing for or against anything just stating how it is. You can take your holier than thou attitude all you want but it doesn't change how it is.

Take a deep breathe then exhale. Then ask yourself if that was necessary. Thanks for a lesson in how the world works.

i'm willing to bet that the kippington workhorse that is on a passaround right now is better than any kato at a third of the cost. but it too is rare af cause he is currently not making any more knives lol

i'm willing to bet that the kippington workhorse that is on a passaround right now is better than any kato at a third of the cost. but it too is rare af cause he is currently not making any more knives lol

for the price of a kato, you can get a full custom from haburn or catchside , both will outperform, be stupidly good looking and have better materials... I had a kato, I sold it because the hype wasn't even close to what people say they are, honestly my takamura petty out performed it at every task besides coring leeks and cost 120 bucks vs the 550 the kato most recently sold for

My last post on the subject because we could go on and on about this forever (which has pretty much been done already)...

Nobody's arguing there are knives that perform the same or better for a MUCH lower price. It's clear from your many posts that you don't care about the intangibles that (IMO) come with these highly sought-after knives. Flippers are successful because they know many of us DO care about these things and, unfortunately, are willing to pay the price to see what it's all about. And yes, for some, it's because they're rare. They're not for everyone, clearly.

Have a good night.

BTW, looking forward to seeing your Marko.

for the price of a kato, you can get a full custom from haburn or catchside , both will outperform, be stupidly good looking and have better materials... I had a kato, I sold it because the hype wasn't even close to what people say they are, honestly my takamura petty out performed it at every task besides coring leeks and cost 120 bucks vs the 550 the kato most recently sold for

I understand your point but I would still take a kato or shig before catchside or haburn. But takamuras on the other hand...people genuinely love those knives, might have to look into it.

Back