Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People attempting to buy up all the Katos right now in hopes that they’ll make 1k profit in 5 years are sorely mistaken. Collectors are looking for the next big thing that’s going to be scarce and causing a buzz not the thing people cared about 5 years ago.

You’re totally right.

Given how knife trends come and go, it seems like a poor idea to buy knives based on whether you think they’ll appreciate in value.

For example, KS-style profiles were all the rage 5 years ago, but extra tall heel heights are now what KKFers want. If you look at BST, truly exceptional 48-50mm tall knives (Mizuno Tanrenjo DX, Tanaka x Kyuzo AS, Takada No Hamono ginsan, Tansu honyaki, etc) have been taking a (disappointingly) long time to find buyers at a significant loss even as taller knives of equivalent quality have been getting insta-snatched.

You’re totally right.

Given how knife trends come and go, it seems like a poor idea to buy knives based on whether you think they’ll appreciate in value.

For example, KS-style profiles were all the rage 5 years ago, but extra tall heel heights are now what KKFers want. If you look at BST, truly exceptional 48-50mm tall knives (Mizuno Tanrenjo DX, Tanaka x Kyuzo AS, Takada No Hamono ginsan, Tansu honyaki, etc) have been taking a (disappointingly) long time to find buyers at a significant loss even as taller knives of equivalent quality have been getting insta-snatched.
Like the Hattori KD30 CowryX. All the rage a few years ago but now sadly forgotten with the concomitant hit on the price.

You’re totally right.

Kato hype took a backseat to the French wave of of guys. And this happened in the twilight of Katos career when everyone knew he was going to hang it up soon. Don’t get me wrong I personally treasure Kato. But all the energy seems to be geared towards the next big thing

I’ve read before that Toyama no longer does the lamination in house. Is that true?
I always thought he would use preliminated for stainless stuff, and I never had a problem with it, he makes awesome knives. Tho if he does do everything in house it would be a huge plus for me, I have 2 of his knives right now, one iron clad one stainless and both are great.

I always thought he would use preliminated for stainless stuff, and I never had a problem with it, he makes awesome knives. Tho if he does do everything in house it would be a huge plus for me, I have 2 of his knives right now, one iron clad one stainless and both are great.
Hey sorry for my ignorance but what's the difference to the knife if everything is done in house or not? I understand the value of the craft and the appeal but I was wondering if there was a concrete difference on the finish product.

Toyama never did laminate him self, it is all preliminated , carbon and stainless

Hey sorry for my ignorance but what's the difference to the knife if everything is done in house or not? I understand the value of the craft and the appeal but I was wondering if there was a concrete difference on the finish product.
No difference, just a preference, tho they can control the thickness of core and cladding, creating a higher or lower lamination line, and could look really nice. On the down side, careless lamination in house could cause problems in delaminating in the future which should be less of a problem in the factory laminated knives. In Toyama’s case if he does it in house it is pretty solid, tho it looks he really don’t care how lamination line looks.

No difference, just a preference, tho they can control the thickness of core and cladding, creating a higher or lower lamination line, and could look really nice. On the down side, careless lamination in house could cause problems in delaminating in the future which should be less of a problem in the factory laminated knives. In Toyama’s case if he does it in house it is pretty solid, tho it looks he really don’t care how lamination line looks.
I see thanks!

I think he is referring to dealer price. Which in my opinion sounds correct. Given the prices I have recently paid. I guess it's not the same experience for everyone.
yep sorry for the misunderstanding. But also 10 years ago as mentioned the prices for Katos where like 400 retail. even with dragon engraving!
I recentliy talked to a dictum sales manager while buying a big bunch of thier J knives, for our staff. Their Shigefusa pricing is still the same because they made a huge order years ago, and with every new batch coming in they will keep the pricing with 250€ for KU and 450€ for Kitaeji (Nakiri and Santoku). Same with a good friend that ordered a kitaeji western handled 240 Shig with about 5 years wait and got it for 1200€ (2 years ago i have to admit.) Don`t know what other dealers contracts look like.

I recently asked a dealer about ordering a Tsukasa Hinoura Riverjump 270 Gyuto and Petty set. Pricing is now at 1400 + 600 without retail so it would be about 3900€ all in, with years of waiting.

So no offence, every body has to life. And the market has his own rights.

SirCutALot

I knew there was a reason I didn't go to reddit, thank you for showing me what that reason is.
Yeah same, I'm the kind to get easily irritated by certain opinions, especially expressed in absolutist languages with no actual experience, but I also don't like to argue about it. Reddit is bad for my mental health.

Last edited:
Tho I have to give the commenter in question some credit, he did recommend some cheap knives I actually find good, but also some I find lacking. So yeah not all bad, just the bad part of reddit irritates me too much.

Back