Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i said before, i see no problem that anyone sells their knives for the whatever value they feel is adequate. If it's too high, it won't sell. It is sad, though, to see people whose only purpose here is to buy it new and sell it right aftwards for a much higher price. After a bunch of sales, the pattern becomes clear. As for the part that we ourselves would do the same thing (hypocrisy), i agree that anyone who follows this pattern (buying and selling for a much higher price right afterwards repeatedly) should have the same treatment.

Also, i'm not proposing any sanction as your reduction to absurdity argument (regarding creating a thread to chastise both the buyer and the seller) does, i'm simply pilling up upon a shared feeling regarding this matter.

i was kidding, but for real, the only thing that keeps people flipping is the people buying, no buyer, no flipping, BAM!

would one be a flipper if they bought a kd years ago but never used it and now list it for 2 times the price? but yeah maybe we can shame the buyer and flipper.

In my opinion, the problem is not buying, enjoying it (as a cook or as a collector), and selling it some time afterwards for whatever price, but rather buying it with the intention to sell it right afterwards. In other words, being a seller at the forum without paying sellers' fees. I agree that's not a behavior easy to spot at the first sale, but after a good number of sales, it becomes easier. Again, i'm not for any witch hunting here. My position is that i will avoid to buy from members that i identify as someone behaving like this in my mind. Let others buy it or not.

i was kidding, but for real, the only thing that keeps people flipping is the people buying, no buyer, no flipping, BAM!

Hey, no harm done!

I see your point that people buying is part of the problem, that's why i try not to from people i relate to the behavior of buying with the solely intention of selling right afterwards. I also think it's hard to propose any KKF sanction on this. What can easily be done is that each member that agrees this is of poor taste, can themselves, according to their own views, try not to buy it too.

I couldn't watch Breaking Bad, didn't really give it a chance, but just didn't get sucked in after an episode or two, people say I need to watch more to really get it.

Will's knives, the 2 I've tried are very good, but these things are very personal and subjective. His order system needs to send a message that you are on the list, that would help. Nonetheless, you do get on the list if you use it.

I just posted Gs's old Kato 180 petty ($40 under what I paid) - let the bashing begin...

It's ok, I paid 200 for it 2 years ago, I saw it sell for 550 and laughed my ass off, katos are basically bitcoin at this point lol

I remember staring at a kato 180mm Petty for weeks in not a month or 2 and gave it some serious consideration. Like, it was available and instock. Great looking knife.

Looks like ashi didn’t retire. $1500 for a brand new one, with potentially more to come. Flipper market just got crushed.
Of course, the secondary market will still remain and they’ll still sell for more than retail.
Great Craig! I’m gonna email Ricky Tran to get on the masamoto Ashi Honyaki list! I’m sure he’s gonna get a few dozen in stock in no time!

Last edited:
I asked twice about Ashi honyaki in the past few months, but was told that they do not accept orders. I was just curious how much would be a new one, would naively expect somewhere between $1500 and $2000

Masamoto KS honyaki is much more rare... and kanji likely not chiseled by 5 year old...

Back