Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me thinks that buying a knife from a KKF member and flipping it for profit right away is in the same class of poor form as trying to flip a knife from a vendor before receiving it :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad how this forum has devolved into hypocrisy and double standards.

and so many of you “moral policemen” tooting your horns here have bought knives from me in the past, and in almost every single case for a price less than I paid for that item. Ive lost money on almost every single knife I've sold here, period. And by far it has been at a loss cumulatively. So whine on, my ignorant compatriots.

Hate on me and others like me all you want, the internet is full of the useless vitriolic bull-crap that you people are obsessed with polluting the airwaves with.

Im glad my knives and my choices have such a profound impact on the well-being and mental stability of those overly concerned citizens voicing their concerns here.

I am not quite sure about the win/loss tobe honest. But as this community grew up around knife enthusiasts quite a few find it disheartening to see it being used fir profit. I personally find the lack of transparency the main issue.

In this particular case apparently several were aware of the first sale as otherwise nobody would raise an eyebrow at that price really. It is not black and white situation from any perspective.

So nobody is being nailed to a cross, just the lacking information is being added ... and a bit of attitude.

Someone once said when you assume, you make an ass of u and me

How on Gods green earth could you possibly know the nature of my finances in regards to knives, or how much money I have or haven’t spent or lost in the hobby? That is extremely presumptuous and rude of you to even speculate

And it has been at a loss, I assure you.

Lame. Make a trade offer or go mind your own business.

I don’t have any opinions about this to share, but let me say that I’m thrilled that having the knife hobby be a net financial loss is a mark of pride! I feel so good about myself right now. I’m going to go tell my wife the good news. :)

I’m with Pete here.

As soon as we start assuming we get in dangerous territory.

And isn’t the rule here that selling at a profit is NOT forbidden? Well then this should be all we need to know. There shouldn’t even be a “flipper alert” thread to be honest, if flipping/selling for a profit isn’t against forum rules.

i get it that a lot of people absolutely hate the idea of people making a profit by selling a knife. Those same people SURE AS HELL would never sell their house for less than what they can just because they paid less at some point in the past. This is as hypocritical as it gets, folks!

We are talking about someone else’s goods here, someone THEY (not us) own. They should do whatever they want with it. It’s a free world, this forum isn’t the North Korean Kitchen Knife Forum where the dear leader(s) gets to decide what to sell to whom, when and what price, no?

On top of that: IF someone really sells at a profit, even flips the knife right away: do we know why? Should we really call out that person? That person might be in dire need of cash for health or other reasons and it’s not on us to mess with that ....

Not a big fan of immediately re-selling something you buy on BST at a higher price. However we don't know how much the seller has paid for shipping, currency conversion and taxes so we should be careful before jumping the gun. In the instance most recently discussed if someone was buying from the US and importing into the EU that price gap would definitely be expected. Likewise in my case buying from the US or EU and importing into Australia, I don't have the EU tax issue but the shipping can be brutal.

I was that noob in the original BST thread who missed out my 1st Shig experience by a mere 20min. I am looking to start my 1st Shig at 180/210mm Kasumi level, the hype is killing me.

Knowing now that I had lost to flipping, regardless of BST rules or if the flipping had a gain or loss, just makes me feel pretty ****** & sad.

I am neither a flipper nor a collector, just a home cook who enjoys using J knives in Asian cooking, and Admin for a pretty big Asian food group on FB:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1002004323271419/?ref=group_header&view=group

Thanks

I was that noob in the original BST thread who missed out my 1st Shig experience by a mere 20min. I am looking to start my 1st Shig at 180/210mm Kasumi level, the hype is killing me.

Knowing now that I had lost to flipping, regardless of BST rules or if the flipping had a gain or loss, just makes me feel pretty ****** & sad.

I am neither a flipper nor a collector, just a home cook who enjoys using J knives in Asian cooking, and Admin for a pretty big Asian food group on FB:

Thanks
Save your money and buy better knives. Shigs are gound fat and chunky. Beautiful knives though.

At the $800 mark for cutting ability, you're looking at Denka, Toyanabe, Hinoura Tsukasa, Fujiyama, Yoshikazu Tanaka.

Thanks

dont worry, you can probably buy it in 2 weeks for around a grand or in 4 weeks for 1200 so.

Not a big fan of immediately re-selling something you buy on BST at a higher price. However we don't know how much the seller has paid for shipping, currency conversion and taxes so we should be careful before jumping the gun. In the instance most recently discussed if someone was buying from the US and importing into the EU that price gap would definitely be expected. Likewise in my case buying from the US or EU and importing into Australia, I don't have the EU tax issue but the shipping can be brutal.

Well in this case we do know, as the transaction was done in US dollars at a price well below 800 USD, without import duties. Whether or not it is or is not in line with ‘the rules’, it may be considered poor form by some :). Bonus point is that we all had a good laugh at the wolves and sheep thing, haha!

And many custom western makers too.
I totaly agree. Just focus on western makers and sell the japanese suff to me. I would be glad to pick up an old fashion dusty japanese unicorn so others can buy the western makers.

Sad how this forum has devolved into hypocrisy and double standards.

and so many of you “moral policemen” tooting your horns here have bought knives from me in the past, and in almost every single case for a price less than I paid for that item. Ive lost money on almost every single knife I've sold here, period. And by far it has been at a loss cumulatively. So whine on, my ignorant compatriots.

Hate on me and others like me all you want, the internet is full of the useless vitriolic bull-crap that you people are obsessed with polluting the airwaves with.

Im glad my knives and my choices have such a profound impact on the well-being and mental stability of those overly concerned citizens voicing their concerns here.

I dont understand what makes you triggered so much. You can flip to your heart's content, nobody prohibits you from doing so. Some people don't like it, live with that. Whining here isn't going to change anything about it.

I bought a 270mm kasumi Shig gyuto from Mert Tansu back in 2015 for $500 and I sold it a couple months later for the same price (Mert's listing for $500 was a little below market value at the time). It was a cool knife and fun to use, but if someone offered me the same knife for $500 again, the only reason I'd buy it back would be to sell it for something like $1,200.

The cladding on that knife was super reactive and there are a lot better options for the price you pay. You could most likely get two really great knives that outperform a BNIB Shig for the price of one these days.

The hype is just what you said: hype.

Thanks

you PM’d me with an offer less than I paid. I countered with my price, which was what I paid plus shipping. You never responded. So i sold it at the price I offered you to some other noob who wanted to try a Shig

And the Earth continues to spin

Pete,
If there’s a misunderstanding I’d like to hear it. From what I can see you purchased a knife for $660 plus shipping and tried to sell it for $800. If those numbers are inaccurate please correct them.
looks like some guys crapped on your FS thread, I didn’t get a chance to see it before the mods edited it so I don’t know what was said. Its a shame it happened.
Anyway, the point of this flipper thread is to shed light on knives that are being sold on bst for profit. This thread is here so people can comment here instead of commenting on BST threads in such a way that would jeopardize a sell which is against rules.

Last edited:
Why were some of my posts edited or deleted? Was it you, Matus? Was it not enough to disparage me? So now clean up the crime scene?

I believe nothing I wrote warranted these admin/mod actions.

Admins/mods, please explain.

Craig, I paid $700 and sold it for $750, covering my expenses. And that ought to be a concern to the buyer and myself only, not the peanut gallery with megaphones and no respect to others privacy.

Im sick of the anti-flipper vitriol, same way they are sick of flippers. If they can come into my LEGITIMATE BST threads and crap on me, and then come here and crap on me, no way Im going to allow it to go unanswered

you PM’d me with an offer less than I paid. I countered with my price, which was what I paid plus shipping. You never responded. So i sold it at the price I offered you to some other noob who wanted to try a Shig
And the Earth continues to spin

hi Peter, just a FYI. I wasn’t complaining about our failed transaction. I was talking about the disappointment I felt with the original WTS thread after reading many posts & realizing that I was been sniped by a flipper.

Since you talked about what happened during our PM, it’s only fair that i explain my rationale out in the open then.

At the time of my PM to you, I didn’t know that was a knife you just bought. I started my offer Lower Without knowing your cost. I was Hoping to be able to meet you half way after some back & forth to reach a deal.

I stopped responding after you told me your terms, that your term was buyer pays Papal fees or pay you as Friends & family. As a noob, I took the BST warnings to heart, your terms scared me off, that’s why I never responded.

Last edited:
Back