Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on my experience of 1 knife, I'd bet that it's mostly both of those things.

Mine:

Cut great out of the box.

Was thicker than I'd like it to be behind the edge.

After thinning that away, it cuts even better.

Has, for whatever reason related to atrocious quality control, a wa-handle that is literally 2mm off-center. This has zero effect in use, as I pinch-grip, but it's still weird.

Has an "unusual" profile, in my hands - I do a fair amount of push-cutting and chopping, but my Denka has a pronounced wide, upswept profile, when cutting with a level handle. It glides through everything, but I need to pay attention to avoid accordion cuts - it starts up directly from the heel and keeps going up from there, so I have to sort of ensure that the tip is down. It also doesn't have anything approaching a flat spot, so a tiny bit of draw, push or rock are required to cut wider produce.

In photos, compared with another blade that feels more "normal" to me...

View attachment 121519

View attachment 121520

View attachment 121521

The Denka, 214mm long 210, has a 54.5mm high heel. The Togashi is 230mm with a 52mm heel.
The Togashi looks awesome 😁

The Togashi looks awesome 😁

Oh it is, it so very is: still the best knife overall I've ever used, and the first knife I grab when I don't specifically make an effort to grab something else. It is the only knife on my strip that I can guarantee I'll never give away or sell. Thank you again. :D

I do have few other knives home that can be as good ,just so you know ☺

Yeah, I've seen photos. "A few" might be underselling it. I might have to block you on BST if you ever get all "selly" with them. :D

Nah, despite my total lack of impulse control, I'm suuuuuuuuuurrre I can resist. Just like I resisted* buying the first of the KKF Dalman honyakis that hit BST.

*Note: I did NOT resist that. It's on the way.

Yeah, I've seen photos. "A few" might be underselling it. I might have to block you on BST if you ever get all "selly" with them. :D

Nah, despite my total lack of impulse control, I'm suuuuuuuuuurrre I can resist. Just like I resisted* buying the first of the KKF Dalman honyakis that hit BST.

*Note: I did NOT resist that. It's on the way.
😂😂😂

Anyone care to recap, in 3-4 bullet points, what has transcurred in the last 30+ pages of this thread?

IIRC:
- a guy bought a b-stock knife for dirt cheap, sold it as near new
- someone did something similar and also filed a paypal claim, so never ended up have to pay for the knife (this may have been the same as number one)
- a guy bought a bundle at a deal (one knife almost free), and then split and sold them all for more than he paid.
- it devolved into a TF thread, as all KKF threads do.

Edit to add: and someone is trying to flip a Kiwi for double the price, but has a conscience so triple was too much

IIRC:
- a guy bought a b-stock knife for dirt cheap, sold it as near new
- someone did something similar and also filed a paypal claim, so never ended up have to pay for the knife (this may have been the same as number one)
- a guy bought a bundle at a deal (one knife almost free), and then split and sold them all for more than he paid.
- it devolved into a TF thread, as all KKF threads do.

Edit to add: and someone is trying to flip a Kiwi for double the price, but has a conscience so triple was too much

Hey, it could have been derailed into CM thread, or even a "below 200mm is not a knife, its a toothpick in disguise".

I swear, someone must cut grapes in half with a 500mm nijato in order to be respected.

maker_fujiwara.jpg
2maker_fujiwara.jpg

Oh it is, it so very is: still the best knife overall I've ever used, and the first knife I grab when I don't specifically make an effort to grab something else. It is the only knife on my strip that I can guarantee I'll never give away or sell. Thank you again. :D

which togashi? I had a blue 2 KU that was an awesome hefty workhorse, best Japanese knife for the price and unlike any other, but supplanted by a Kemadi (alternatively Shihan or HVB) and noticed that the migaki Blue 1 stainless and the White 1 are in laser territory so I’ve been interested in those again

which togashi? I had a blue 2 KU that was an awesome hefty workhorse, best Japanese knife for the price and unlike any other, but supplanted by a Kemadi (alternatively Shihan or HVB) and noticed that the migaki Blue 1 stainless and the White 1 are in laser territory so I’ve been interested in those again

It's a Hitohira Togashi Yohei white 1 honyaki 240mm (230 on the edge). Definitely on the laser side (185g with ebony handle), and obviously a very different knife than the san mai versions.

Would set a new world record for a Jiro 240, but hey, we all like to dream.
Yeah, never seen them anywhere near that. I think I added shipping on to the one I sold and it was like $800(I think) and mine was a 270. When he replied to MLK saying something like, Maybe next time, I wanted to reply hopefully never!!

Back