Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He can literally make himself an arsenal of weapons. Might wanna think through that plan a little bit harder.
449A994C-1C0D-4C16-9C27-F7F65EC4F5CF.gif

ok so that's a lot of words to basically say the utility you seen in a Kato is mainly that other people cannot have one.

you say that not everyone is entitled to try one, I mean that misses the point. there is maybe some truth to that, or at least it's reflective of reality. but that's not enough, you are gaining literal joy and value out of other people not being able to.

I'm not sure what kind of judgment about that you think the rest of us are supposed to have, but for me personally, that's a big yikes.

i think it comes down to wanting to be special. this is a very basic human trait. to be competitive, to want to distinguish yourself, to have something that makes you unique. this inherently involves comparing yourself to others.

i understand that there are philosophical, psychological, and practical pitfalls to that, but there are also benefits.

what i don't get at all is how this is a "big yikes" ...

he's not deriving pleasure from people literally starving and dying while he's eating. why should everything be easily available to anyone? that's what drives us.

unfortunately you got me.

frankly I dont want to go to the post office much these days as it's a lot more of a pain than it was when I lived in Texas.

I had to mail a guitar bridge assembly to Missouri for a build I'm having done for my birthday and just took PTO that day lmao

why not have usps, ups, or fedex pick it up from your house? going to the post office is for suckers. so is paying retail on shipping.

edit: and yes, not going to the post office makes me feel special. lol

Last edited:
Guy should have just said "It's too big for me" when he listed it for $1750, apparently that is armor and nothing can touch you when you say that

As enrico alluded to in the thread, the Suiboku 180 is being offered at maybe $40/10% markup after adding Carbon’s (risible) shipping insurance, the saya, and seller’s shipping/fees.

It’s mildly annoying (as was the low effort OP with no photos or sale price) and not really in the spirit of KKF BST… But I don’t know if it’s worth getting riled up - or derailing a BST thread 😬 - over it. It’s definitely not as worthy of ridicule as the $1750 Bloodroot listing.

Much like with the TxK EH that just (quickly!) sold, I’m fully sympathetic with the buyers who are OK knowing they’re paying full retail plus a bit extra to get a harder-to-find knife they really want — especially if it means they get to skip the “frantic browser refresh at 10am drop” game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
As enrico alluded to in the thread, the Suiboku 180 is being offered at maybe $40/10% markup after adding Carbon’s (risible) shipping insurance, the saya, and seller’s shipping/fees.

It’s mildly annoying (as was the low effort OP with no photos or sale price) and not really in the spirit of KKF BST… But I don’t know if it’s worth getting riled up - or derailing a BST thread 😬 - over it. It’s definitely not as worthy of ridicule as the $1750 Bloodroot listing.

Much like with the TxK EH that just (quickly!) sold, I’m fully sympathetic with the buyers who are OK knowing they’re paying full retail plus a bit extra to get a harder-to-find knife they really want — especially if it means they get to skip the “frantic browser refresh at 10am drop” game. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree this is nothing for me to care about. Asking price is above retail, but after fees and shipping, it's not like the seller is out to connect a huge payday. I expected the post to simply sit, with gradual price drops, especially considering a santoku is not usually a high demand item here.

Damn, even my helpful comments get deleted
I guess after the mods cleaned up the BST thread, your comments there didn’t make as much sense out of context. My comment above looks a bit oddly righteous now.

Well it's just the it's too small for me B.S. that I don't like, be honest at least lol. His only posts are trying to sell 2 knives over MSRP. Also I feel bad for anyone who pays $500 for Tanaka white 2, the stuff is not good

Well it's just the it's too small for me B.S. that I don't like, be honest at least lol. His only posts are trying to sell 2 knives over MSRP. Also I feel bad for anyone who pays $500 for Tanaka white 2, the stuff is not good
Which of his white 2 did you have? I have one that I really like. Use it next to his AS and Blue #1.

Nahh bro this one's wild.
The Dude has officially retired, so pricing is not unrealistic. Thats one less Japanese maker doing everything in house. Toyama and Jiro are the only ones I can think of who are still doing every step themselves.

The Dude has officially retired, so pricing is not unrealistic. Thats one less Japanese maker doing everything in house. Toyama and Jiro are the only ones I can think of who are still doing every step themselves.
I’ve read before that Toyama no longer does the lamination in house. Is that true?

Nah leave it to JNS to be the price driver. Always has been when it came to Katos.

Many sellers outside of JNS still offer decent prices. Even big scalpers like Mydoya are selling Kato way below JNS prices.

Nah leave it to JNS to be the price driver. Always has been when it came to Katos.

Many sellers outside of JNS still offer decent prices. Even big scalpers like Mydoya are selling Kato way below JNS prices.
I wouldn't call Zahocho a bargain basement Kato reseller/retailer, neither is Morihei.

Did anyone consider the possibility that when JNS sells Kato for a higher price, then Kato himself actually makes more money? Because that’s actually how it goes …
Legitimately.

Does it though? There’s the potential that they’re bought from Kato at a price, and then the retailer can sell at their own price, right?

Did anyone consider the possibility that when JNS sells Kato for a higher price, then Kato himself actually makes more money? Because that’s actually how it goes …
I've picked up Katos recently for great prices straight from retailers. Half the cost of JNS and sometimes a third of the price.

Doesn't make sense for Kato-san to sell at much lower prices if JNS is paying him way more. Sounds more like a retailer taking advantage of his market position.

Back