Foie gras dessert ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mille162

Reaction score
I’m doing a private dinner next weekend, the menu is pretty flexible but the theme is foie gras. Ive got a beautiful 2lb lobe sitting here that I just finished in the sous vide.

Raw oysters and seared scallops topped with caviar for appetizers while everyone catches up.

Starting first seated course with a version of Bocuse’s “Soupe aux truffes noires Élysée”

Next a micro greens and bitter endive salad with grilled figs and foie gras-mustard vinaigrette dressing

Champagne sorbet pallet cleanser

For the main, seared foie gras torchon medallion surrounded by magret de canard slices with a veal demi-glace and a fennel and garlic puree

I’m open to other suggestions on the above if anyone has better input on how to showcase the foie gras...but what I need help on is dessert!

I’ve had a chilled foie gras mousse topped with chocolate and peanuts (“snickers bar”), but the host of the dinner was with me when I had it, so I’d like other options.

I found a recipe for a foie gras creme brûlée with a bit of it pureed into the cream as well as a seared piece on top, but I don’t have time to test this recipe and Im not sure on how it’s going to taste. Im thinking of maybe doing both of these plus a third, 2 dishes of each and let the table share, but need a killer 3rd option. I have a gelato machine and would like to do something frozen as one of the three, but coming up blank. Closest I can come up with it a vanilla gelato with grilled fruit/seared cubes and a good balsamic reduction drizzle...I may just do that without foie gras/fruit as I think the balsamic will fight with the overall flavor. Any suggestions on other dessert dishes to consider?

I'd look at using some Sauternes or Tokaji as part of the dessert
Maybe some prunes poached in Pedro ximinez,
I like the idea of a foie gras creme brûlée or creme caramel

I've never made this but a tart of either parfait of foie gras of foie gras ganache infused with grand marnier, caramelized white chocolate ganache on top and candied orange(blood orange would look even better) would be stunning

Another idea would be a foie gras cheese cake with pedro ximinez soak plums, this could be served with a carmelized white chocolate foie gras ice cream and caramelized almond slivers made into rings to add a textural component.

If you have time you could do a flavoured torchon, wrap it in chocolate, cut your slices, cut the slices in two, plate with complimentary sauces, maybe a coulis and a creme anglais, and add a complimentary nut for textural contrast, if you have mad skills, angel hair made from caramel would be useful here.

I've also made foie gras lolipops, foie gras chocolates and foie gras blancmange for personal diner partys, but those are better for mignardes, although a trio of those, each using a different chocolate would be stellar

Rhubarb is coming in. Pricey right now but it's there. Try to work in some strawberry rhubarb in that tart. Cook the strawberry and rhubarb down with a bay leaf for a nice flavor combo. Put that foie gras ice cream on there and hit em on the plate with some balsamic honey fluid gel.

Rhubarb is coming in. Pricey right now but it's there. Try to work in some strawberry rhubarb in that tart. Cook the rhubarb down with a bay leaf for a nice flavor combo. Put that foie gras ice cream on there and hit em on the plate with some balsamic honey fluid gel.

could caramelize the honey to deepen the flavour of the garnish, I used a similar approach to a foie gras blancmange I once did, I think I used a 15 y/o balsamic and had port to.

This one is pretty solid

http://www.starchefs.com/cook/recip...-gras-profiteroles-caramel-sauce-and-sea-salt

You could do a foie macaron with a green strawberry cookie and maybe some chervil powder or something?

I think foie and maple are great together. You could do say a small square of pan perdu with the spice blend from 11 Madison park's duck (some bits steeped in the milk, some bits in powder, some lightly crushed, I'd add sesame as well) and then top with syrup and a slice of torchon.

A foie and grapefruit/rose madeleine would be good.

Back