Folksy Chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a new acquisition I thought I'd share. It's new "old stock" that I pickup off the 'bay (stamped columbia corp. NY). It came very dull and with some age spots (it's around 50 yo I reckon), but it was fun to put in a bit of elbow grease and get it in service after so long sitting in some defunct warehouse. Here's how it arrived:

$(KGrHqZ,!o4E9c)ePfMkBPY!uHgwyg~~60_3.JPG

and here it is after....having the spine and choil rounded, new edge put on/tip repaired, patina forced and then used at work for a day+ sanding down the harsh corners on the handle and then adding some boardsmith butter to finish...whew! Impressions.....well,it's a heck of a knife..the carbon steel takes a very fine edge and after using on a polyboard all day at work, it just needed a few light strokes on a hone to bring it back to scary sharp. The size (both length and thickness) are perfect for a "workhorse" application..while the the tip could be a little thinner..the 3-4mm spine is a welcome, comfortable change from some lazers that I've been working with. Overall, a fun project :).

7100984549_6d23197993_b.jpg

7100984739_36cedc3d63_b.jpg

6954915322_13cd0d8ed8_c.jpg

7100985031_774d6c58e5_b.jpg

6954914752_7e831be48d_b.jpg

Looks good. It's really nice to "reanimate" a knife. Or maybe resurrect. Still can't help and think how sweet it would look with a new handle....

Nice. I <3 vintage knives. Is there an awesome re-handle job in the future for this one?

Nice. I <3 vintage knives. Is there an awesome re-handle job in the future for this one?

Mmmm, I don't think so. It's actually pretty comfy. I think I'd like to keep it intact for posterity and part of it's allure is it's low cost.

Back