Food Release: Stiction and the Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. How are you liking 52100 as compared 1095 and W2.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned I can't use a shallow hardening steel on this grind, so it ruled out W2 and 1095 for these particular knives.
I do like 52100 though. I don't get to try my own knives much as I'm backlogged on making them for other people!

Awesome Kip! The germans are much much nicer and kinder and even respectfully writing than what one might get the image of at first. I believe they will love it. And 52100, such a treat to work with good call.

Very interesting. How are you liking 52100 as compared 1095 and W2.
Earlier in this thread I mentioned I can't use a shallow hardening steel on this grind, so it ruled out W2 and 1095 for these particular knives.
I do like 52100 though. I don't get to try my own knives much as I'm backlogged on making them for other people!
I have a Kip Hook Grind (I keep wanting to say "Trick Pony") in 52100 and a laser in 1095. Both are easy to sharpen, have a silky feel on the stones and take as sharp an edge as I can produce. I haven't sharpened them side by side but my impression is that thay are similar on the stones. The 52100 edge certainly seems to last a little longer and it doesn't patina as much.

LSgnCZT.jpg

That looks super interesting. Are there videos showing off this grind? And the food release? I'm one of those german nerds btw ;P

Looking forward to those knives popping up over here.

The germans are much much nicer and kinder and even respectfully writing than what one might get the image of at first.

Sure sure that's what they always say ... [emoji13]
But seriously I want to know the results of this comparison/pass around, do we have members here that are part of that forum and can translate the results?

That is an awesome idea. Something i tried was to form a small ridge (of milliput) about 2cm from the edge along the length of a cleaver. its not enough to cause much noticable difference in wedgeing but it does push the food away and stop it sticking mostly. I think the same could be done with a tidy bead of weld too. The dip away the at the handle end is to make space for fingers and push the food away that travels backwards while cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 154
Very interesting idea.

I saw Mark Militello use a knife with holes and a ridge to slice cucumbers on "In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs" in the 1990s.
She asked him about it and he liked it for food release.
It looked similar to the Wusthof Ridge knife.

Last edited:
Heres a short clip of that cleaver. Broccoli stalk is not that sticky but it does work with things like cheddar or leeks too. In fact its great if there is alot of cheddar to slice. Excuse the shaking camera and rubbish quality but you get the idea.

Thanks for the video. It's an effective method for sure. It still runs into the same problem all the food-release grinds have, which is that the higher you place the bump, the less effective it is. I went into more detail on post
#65 here in this thread.
If you lower the bump closer to the cutting edge, it would start to resemble the step on many of the S grind knives.
Very cool idea with moving the bump closer to the handle to discourage food touching your hand. This is the only kind of geometry a trick like this would work on.

I saw Mark Militello use a knife with holes and a ridge to slice cucumbers on "In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs" in the 1990s.
She asked him about it and he liked it for food release.
It looked similar to the Wusthof Ridge knife.
It seems to work fairly well. But I can't get over how butt-ugly that knife is… :(

There is the Wüsthof vegetable knife, which seems to work along similar lines of thought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD6N4CG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's butt-ugly, unfortunately. What you are trying has much better aesthetics and might well work better. Please keep us updated. This looks like a really promising idea!

When cutting food, I'd try some raw potatoes, as well as fruit such as pineapple and watermelon. These tend to be among the foods that stick a lot. Banana might be another one worth experimenting with.

Binge read the thread... Now I feel like watching a great tv series, I want to know the ending!

Wonder how bumps om the blade would Work... Jmmm

I know I've said this before, but even though shallow grantons do not make food fall off, they do decrease slicing stiction.

Uh-oh... :confused:
It seems another maker has found this thread, he even calls it a hook grind.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gl81ZHMv2/

Yeah I saw that and thought about asking him whether he shouldn’t at least mention you, out of courtesy or what not. Then I thought that you might be friends and it would be pedantic of me to make such a comment if you were. Now I think I should have acted on my gut feeling. At least this one time. [emoji848]

Back