Food Release: Stiction and the Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That jig is awesome. Although actually, how do you grind a tip with that? Hmm
Depends how he typically makes a blade.

But a lot of people don't profile the tip until after at least rough grinding the bevels in, to make getting the angle consistent easier. So he could do something like that. Also, you want to keep the tip towards the middle of the belt, and not go off the edges with it. So that could help.

Reactions: ian
Depends how he typically makes a blade.

But a lot of people don't profile the tip until after at least rough grinding the bevels in, to make getting the angle consistent easier. So he could do something like that. Also, you want to keep the tip towards the middle of the belt, and not go off the edges with it. So that could help.

That makes sense. @Kippington told me he completely finishes the knife before grinding out the tip or choil, even.

Not sure of the exact number of people that have taken inspiration from the hook grind, but here's a collection of posts I saved from Instagram that look related:

View attachment 232115

Hey that was a while ago. I should revisit the hook grind sometime. The one i made which is on the passaround is insanely thin, but badly finished. In initial testing the edge actualy crumbled like aluminium foil, and i had to take it back some. Its a fun grind to do for sure.
I have had this idea in the back of my head for a while, and when i saw kipp do it i remembered it again haha.
Funny seeing an old story of mine on here.

I want to thank Kipp for all his awesome contributions, including this thread. Food sticking to the knife drives me nuts so I'm on a quest to make my own knife with good food release.

But as Kipp has pointed out, the key is not just to maximize food release, but to find the right balance of food release and slicing ability (avoiding wedging). In other words: if you must keep the blade reasonably thin behind the edge, what is the best shape for food release?

I have a theory that it must involve multiple ripples of some shape or another. If you aren't allowed to create one big hook to drastically separate the food, then you must do whatever possible to minimize sticking on the rest of the knife area. If the food sneaks past the first line of defense, then it hits the next attacker.

I have a botched knife that I was practicing grinding on and I decided to try something with the small wheel attachment. (Ignore how unfinished it is - this is a throw-away experiment that I did... and I'm brand new at this). I have to say, it does pretty damn well in terms of food release. It's weakness is when you julienne, the long thin strips can get stuck in the fullers. I probably could have gone deeper on the lowest fuller, and the top fuller is a little too high so it leave a small flat area where really sticky food like apples are able to sometimes hold on. But overall I'm impressed.

1700017192034.png

1700017204311.png
1700017211722.png
1700017219203.png

Last edited:
Thats really interesting.

Would love to see what you could do with it in a later iteration with some trial and error

I want to thank Kipp for all his awesome contributions, including this thread. Food sticking to the knife drives me nuts so I'm on a quest to make my own knife with good food release.

But as Kipp has pointed out, the key is not just to maximize food release, but to find the right balance of food release and slicing ability (avoiding wedging). In other words: if you must keep the blade reasonably thin behind the edge, what is the best shape for food release?

I have a theory that it must involve multiple ripples of some shape or another. If you aren't allowed to create one big hook to drastically separate the food, then you must do whatever possible to minimize sticking on the rest of the knife area. If the food sneaks past the first line of defense, then it hits the next attacker.

I have a botched knife that I was practicing grinding on and I decided to try something with the small wheel attachment. (Ignore how unfinished it is - this is a throw-away experiment that I did... and I'm brand new at this). I have to say, it does pretty damn well in terms of food release. It's weakness is when you julienne, the long thin strips can get stuck in the fullers. I probably could have gone deeper on the lowest fuller, and the top fuller is a little too high so it leave a small flat area where really sticky food like apples are able to sometimes hold on. But overall I'm impressed.

View attachment 282257
View attachment 282258View attachment 282259View attachment 282260
Looks promising! Have you got any videos of it in action?

It reminds me a lot of the middle blade in this picture.

DSCN0164.jpg

Back