Food Safe Lacquer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not good safe and should be removed. Even if you didn’t care about eating it, it will still flake off, leading to an ugly and uneven patina. If you don’t want to deal with reactive knives, buy stainless.

That's why I come here-to learn. This is my first full carbon blade. My others are stainless clad/carbon core and I like the look of the contrasting patina on the blade edge.

But, how do I patina an entire blade without covering up the damascus?

Are there threads on here about how to do that?

I will check out the patina thread, but it is so long it will take forever, maybe, to learn what I am looking for.

Also, if I give the blade a good coating of camelia oil right before a cutting session will that help, or will it just rub off with the first few slices.

And, thanks!

Yes, acetone is best for removing laquer

Patina will evolve over time. It will cover the Damascus somewhat, but you’ll still be able to see it. To remove patina periodically you can use a slurry of baking soda and water or some flitz or simichrome.

Embrace the patina. It is beautiful in its own right.

Common forced patinas can be had by coating the blade in mustard and letting it sit for several hours, or by making extremely strong coffee (e.g., instant coffee made 4x normal strength) and soaking the blade.

Both do a nice job of establishing a protective patina, but neither yield the pretty multicolored patinas you get from cutting warm proteins. When I've done the forced patina, I get a grayish or brownish patina. It doesn't conceal the damascus pattern, but the pattern doesn't pop like it does on a blade without patina.

Back