for all sharpeners who struggle with feeling a burr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblob

Reaction score
for all sharpeners who struggle with feeling a burr
i found out why i wasnt feeling for them burrs even though they where there the reason was i was feeling for the shoulders where the primary bevel meets the secondary bevel and that is not where the burr is , the angle you hold the knife is important when feeling for a burr

Just to confuse things, between the edge bevel and the back bevel you may well develop a micro-burr, especially if your angle is super well controlled e.g. under a guided system. It's not the burr you're looking for, but it's a burr worth removing anyway. Just because the mechanics of sharpening – think edge leading – will produce a burr wherever steel against stone gives way to nothingness.

Last edited:
I always compare both sides when checking for a burr. Sometimes you can’t tell there’s a burr, but then you feel the other side and realize it feels very slightly different. Even if you can’t definitely say one side feels like a burr, if both sides don’t feel exactly the same then there’s a burr.

my issue with detecting a burr is that I often manage to create a burr but also (almost at the same time) to weaken or diminish it, all at the course of 10-15 strokes or so… probably my angle is inconsistent so I end up raising the angle and remove the burr (and possibly applying pressure while edge leading)

so when I stop to feel for it, it’s barely there, but I can see the tint bits of burr on the stone surface … so, today’s lesson is - pay attention to your stone surface / slurry… it’s talking to you :)

I’m serious. Sometimes it’s easier to talk to someone who is going through the same thing.
XD he knows how to recognize burrs and he was willing to share with the forum(that is quite nice of him) why he wasn't been able to feel them... he is no longer unable to feel burrs

Back