D. Martell For Sale - 52100 Wa Sujihiki w/Acid Bomb Patina

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
300mm Wa Sujihiki in 52100 - Professional

P1010001_997d4add-65ce-426f-b122-1d340efa7bd0_1024x1024.JPG

Just in time for Thanksgiving turkey carving duty...this knife will make you look like a PRO...not a Shmoe!

• Model - Sujihiki
    • Blade Length - 300mm
    • Steel - 52100 (high carbon ball bearing steel)
    • Blade Finish - "Vintage Acid Bomb" Patina
    • Hardness - Rc 62-63 (with cryo)
    • Height (at heel) - 45mm
    • Weight - 7.6oz (215g)
    • Handle Style - Wa Octagonal (tapered) with rounded butt
    • Handle Materials - Maple Burl with double marbled buffalo horn & G10 spacers
The blade is made from cryo treated 52100 (high carbon ball bearing steel) hardened to Rc62-63, it's tough yet easy to sharpen.

The blade's surface has been treated to what I'm calling a "vintage acid bomb" patina, a multi-level combination of acids/mustard applied in stages. This was done for aesthetics as well as for a reduction in (negative) oxidation and reactivity. The result is a unique one of a kind look that has some worthwhile function to it.

The wa octagonal handle is made from a lively dyed maple burl paired with really nice marbled buffalo horn on both ends. The butt cap is rounded. The color of the maple burl was listed as "teal" when purchased, it leans towards green vs blue. The G10 spacers are black and orange in color.

The handle has been sealed with several coats of a varnish/oil finish.

*Please see close up pictures for details.

Shipping FREE for USA

International Shipping will be charged $35 flat fee - A Paypal invoice will be sent after checkout

If interested in purchasing you can either checkout HERE or send me a PM with your email address and (if international) your location, I'll follow by sending you a Paypal invoice.

Thanks,
Dave

P1010001.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010019.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010027.JPG
P1010030.JPG
P1010032.JPG

Last edited:
PS - this knife looks 10x better in person. If you like it in the pictures you'll be blown away with it in your hands. ;)

So what do you guys think of this?

I think it is beautiful! And I usually don't like forced patina, but it really looks nice and complementary to the maple burl.

I really like the 300 mm length for a suji cause I'm not a fan of the shorter ones. The profile looks very adaptable to different tasks. And the handle is nicely bling without being ostentatious. Would make a really nice Christmas gift!!!

Actually that seems like a great price for a hand forged, made in USA, reputable knifemaker.

I wrote to Dave in a PM already that this is actually pretty much what I do not like: it is loud, it is colourful... But the combination of all this is just gorgeous. The patina is pretty cool, but the handle, it just screams at me. Look at the colours! The orange spacers match the orange-ish accents of the wood just perfectly. And then the horn... Wow, Dave, just wow. Whoever buys this, congratulations. This one is not simple, but it is simply stunning!

Anyone curious how I did the patina?
You know it!

If I were to make a 100% uneducated guess, I'd wonder if you'd applied the patina-inducing agent with plastic wrap, crumpled paper, or perhaps fabric.

This stuff is so simple to do yet there's a gazillion variables to change things ever so slightly. On this knife you're seeing the 2nd major patina I applied where I did 3 layers of mustard at first. It looked horrible so I sanded it away completely. I was sort of bummed about this at the time so I let it sit overnight when I had an idea.

What I then did was 5 layers all different. Mustard, bluing paste, ferric chloride, liquid bluing, then mustard again. Each layer I sanded lightly to get what I thought would look good with the next layer. I used blue shop towels to apply the acids playing with the way I would ball up the loose ends. I was just messing around until I got something I liked and then stopped.

It's a bit more time consuming then just finishing a blade like normal but it's not hard work and it's fun so I'll likely do more of it.....well that is if people like it.....er buy it. LOL

Wow! Congratulations to both buyer and seller... I am relieved I didn’t have to pull the trigger myself... Man, I have no need whatsoever for another suji but this one made me itch...

Back