For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isamitsu AS 240 versus a carrot per @kpham12 ’s request. Not as big as ideal but the biggest one my grocery delivery shop sent me this week.

The knife cuts it ok. Should be able to handle regular carrots really well. Food release is surprisingly good.

It is actually thinner at 1 cm above the edge near the heel (1.1 mm) than in the front (1.4 mm). Probably some classic TF overgrind near the heel and then flattened from the special finish service.

The balance is very nice. 2:20 to 2:30 shows how comfortable I get with it in the first use. Overall didn’t blow me away but solid.

Munetoshi 270 mm gyuto after working on the bevels. The grind had a couple weirdly overly convex areas that needed to be flattened out so the wide bevels are still convex, but a lot more consistent now. Shinogi is a lot more pronounced on the right than the left, good for food release. Tip can slow down a little in really big onions because of the shinogi, but it’s thin enough in general. Steel is less microchippy than other hard shirogami #2 I’ve tried, sharpens quickly and dulls slowly. Weight, grind and length really makes this thing a produce killer, especially great for big heads of cabbage, long bell peppers, etc. Not quite silent on dense, hard vegetables, but still a smooth cutter.

Plan to put on a bigger, heavier handle to make the heel area of the knife easier to use and round the spine and choil to make long prep sessions more comfortable.

Munetoshi 270 mm gyuto after working on the bevels. The grind had a couple weirdly overly convex areas that needed to be flattened out so the wide bevels are still convex, but a lot more consistent now. Shinogi is a lot more pronounced on the right than the left, good for food release. Tip can slow down a little in really big onions because of the shinogi, but it’s thin enough in general. Steel is less microchippy than other hard shirogami #2 I’ve tried, sharpens quickly and dulls slowly. Weight, grind and length really makes this thing a produce killer, especially great for big heads of cabbage, long bell peppers, etc. Not quite silent on dense, hard vegetables, but still a smooth cutter.

Plan to put on a bigger, heavier handle to make the heel area of the knife easier to use and round the spine and choil to make long prep sessions more comfortable.

Great knife. Such a tiny board compared to the knife. lol

That's what I did also. Heavier handle and smoothed the spine and choil.

Playing around a little today.

I figured out why all the sounds on my videos seems so amplified. @ian gave me the idea to sit my phone inside a beer glass as a holder. Works great but the mic is on the bottom of the phone and the glass funnels sound into it. :) Never happens when not doing that.

Anyway, Manaka 210 in shirogami:

Munetoshi 210 in shirogami:

Watanabe Pro 180 in aogami:

Finally got a chance to try out my Majime Limited Edition feather/s-grind and compare to a couple other knives. First up is the Majime, 2nd is a Brian Hanson thin convex, last is a Neil Ayling s-grind. The Majime definitely performed best of the bunch for food release.

BTW I had just finished peeling and cutting beets if you’re wondering what’s going with the board and my hands ;)

Do you love your knives? Prove it and cut something with them! Skill level is irrelevant: the point here is to celebrate your knives by using them in the way the maker intended. Thanks to @Kippington for the initial idea, @Carl Kotte for the love, and to a few others for more ideas about the framing of it.

Makoto Tadokoro silver #3 Nakiri 165

Attachments

• tadokoro.mp4
    20.3 MB
Do you love your knives? Prove it and cut something with them! Skill level is irrelevant: the point here is to celebrate your knives by using them in the way the maker intended. Thanks to @Kippington for the initial idea, @Carl Kotte for the love, and to a few others for more ideas about the framing of it.

Tanaka white 1 Dama workhorse grind

Attachments

• tanaka.mp4
    16.2 MB

shibata R2 ko-bunka

Attachments

• shibata.mp4
    21.8 MB
Moriya Munemitsu Ginsan 210 mm petty. Bought a bunch of tomatoes on sale, but they started going a bit soft, so fine dice for some guacamole and maybe some omelettes.

Shoutout @refcast for the recommendation. Thinned it a little on the right side, but it’s already decently thin out of the box. Nice stainless, gets appreciably sharp. Burr is a little more clingy than really good carbon, but nothing egregious. Just a good grab and go knife for a lot of small or precise tasks that you can leave lying on the board without worrying.

Y Tanaka white#1 240 gyuto + Zanmai A super 240 Suji working on sirloin
😁

Attachments

• SUJI.mp4
    20.1 MB
Not very exciting, but my first outing with my Newham vs pork belly. The hesitation in the beginning is me failing at mentally visualizing what size cuts for the initial rectangle will make a satisfactory square when I do a 2nd cross cut.

A little more exciting - pork belly burnt ends!
53F0E9D2-697D-49EA-B951-587D849D3F93.jpeg

I did a little light thinning on my Brian Hanson and a 2nd round of more aggressive thinning on my Majime LE and thought I’d share a quick video of my evaluation cuts. I didn’t touch up the edge of either knife after thinning so you can see the point where I noticed I have a bit of a dull spot on the Hanson from the thinning.

The Hanson is a thin convex that’s here just for comparison to the Majime. (I’m cutting quite slow because I’m evaluating my thinning job). As expected you can see the diced onions climbing all the way up the blade.

Here’s the Majime; it was basically unusable (by kkf standards) OOTB but is performing fairly decently now as a cutter. It can’t do horizontal cuts in onions (yet?), but you’ll see the food release is pretty impressive on this challenging medium of finely diced onions. Notice that my radial cuts are going all the way through from end to end. After some work the Majime LE is turning out to be a nice knife specialized for food release. It did great on some diced carrots as well I might post later.

Last edited:
Back