For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goko Kogetsu SK steel 300 mm yo gyuto
Picked this knife up, courtesy of @Hauscarl, great seller.
Out of the box,it’s a very wabi-sabi kind of knife, the welding near the tang and the yo handle is a bit rough (not TF rough, but has obvious flaws), the profile had a overgrind that didn’t make contact with the cutting board and the there’s too much convexity at the tip and near the edge. But for the price, I can’t complain. Also, the profile, kanji and handle look cool.

Fixed it up on the stones and if it wasn’t obvious already, working on a 300 mm gyuto is a huge PITA, my shoulders and forearms still hurt. Got rid of the overgrind and got the profile nice and smooth, thinned behind the edge and at the tip, sandpapered the choil a bit. Could use another round of thinning, but as is, the grind is a strong asymmetric convex. The maker did a good job of grinding in a lot of convexity by hand on both sides of the knife. The steel is a little harder to sharpen than a good shirogami, takes a bit more work to raise a burr and get rid of it, plus the extra length adds to the challenge of sharpening, but edge taking is still pretty nice. Edge in the video is King Hyper 1000-Aizu-light strop on cardboard.

Also, a bonus video of the maker working on a big knife, looks like it might even be bigger than this one. This is also basically what I was doing for a couple hours. It’s a great workout 😅

Is it weird that I prefer a slightly dull knife for trimming off skin like that? It lets me angle up and push against the skin without cutting through, so I don’t lose any meat. I usually grab one of my el-cheapo Wusthof block knives for it.
No I've actually noticed the same; sometimes 'too sharp' just becomes counterproductive because it'll just go straight through everything, instead of allowing you to sort of 'scrape' meat off for example silverskin.

Goko Kogetsu SK steel 300 mm yo gyuto
Picked this knife up, courtesy of @Hauscarl, great seller.
Out of the box,it’s a very wabi-sabi kind of knife, the welding near the tang and the yo handle is a bit rough (not TF rough, but has obvious flaws), the profile had a overgrind that didn’t make contact with the cutting board and the there’s too much convexity at the tip and near the edge. But for the price, I can’t complain. Also, the profile, kanji and handle look cool.

Fixed it up on the stones and if it wasn’t obvious already, working on a 300 mm gyuto is a huge PITA, my shoulders and forearms still hurt. Got rid of the overgrind and got the profile nice and smooth, thinned behind the edge and at the tip, sandpapered the choil a bit. Could use another round of thinning, but as is, the grind is a strong asymmetric convex. The maker did a good job of grinding in a lot of convexity by hand on both sides of the knife. The steel is a little harder to sharpen than a good shirogami, takes a bit more work to raise a burr and get rid of it, plus the extra length adds to the challenge of sharpening, but edge taking is still pretty nice. Edge in the video is King Hyper 1000-Aizu-light strop on cardboard.

Also, a bonus video of the maker working on a big knife, looks like it might even be bigger than this one. This is also basically what I was doing for a couple hours. It’s a great workout 😅

Good job! I have the 240 version of this. No issues with grind or profile, but the scales on the handle have some wabisabi. Overall great value and very cool knife.

Not really a cutting video, but I wanted to see if I could record a half decent sharpening video. This is the family beater knife I bought to keep attention away from my actual knives, an Aritsugu AUS-10. It sees a good amount of use on plastic boards (and sometimes marble countertops).

Haven’t sharpened it in a while and the edge had rolled in several places and is pretty dull throughout. Steel is ok to sharpen, not my favorite, but I thought it would be good for a test video. Not the absolute highest level of sharpness, but great for family use. Any sharper and I get complaints that the knife is too sharp.

Masahiro VC 210 gyuto. Been looking for a good monosteel yo handle carbon beater. Got this 210 for cheap. Good 90/10 right handed geometry out of the box. Thinned the chisel grind to just shy of nail flexing thin. Always heard good things about the VC steel, supposedly it’s solid Takefu V2. Good stuff, gets very keen, holds up well to being beat on and touches up easily. Will pick up a bigger one to play with.

Fixed it up on the stones and if it wasn’t obvious already, working on a 300 mm gyuto is a huge PITA, my shoulders and forearms still hurt.

I always wondered what your routine was for those Popeye forearms. Now I know!

I have been going to the Salt Lick for over 40 years. Nice BBQ. I live in a small BBQ town now with 2 places just like this, so I don't make the Salt Lick much anymore. It is worth visting if you are down our way.
Lucky you! I've been to Texas maybe 8 times, have always left enamored by the BBQ—all about the smoke, perhaps my fave BBQ of all the regional styles. Definitely overdue for a trip—love the look of the kitchen setup at Salt Lick, that BBQ pit is gorgeous.

Back