For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done a lot of crazy things in my life that I’ve dove into head first without a care. However, few things have given me as much apprehension as posting a cutting video to a forum full of chefs and culinary enthusiasts. And watching the video back, I can see how not call and relaxed I am with every cut.

So let me start by saying, feel free to tell me how you think I can improve these videos. I am going to make these to show off the incredible work of makers, to people who may be considering purchasing their work. So if there is anyway I can improve the quality of the content to showcase the work better or make these videos more useful, please let me know.

For my first video I’ve already realized I need to tweak the camera angle a bit.

Anyways, without further adieu, my first cutting video featuring my Milan Gravier Full Kasumi Wide Bevel Damascus Twist Gyuto.

Hopefully this video attaches right 😬

Brother, I can cut up all manner of stuff in a relaxed, controlled, and pretty consistent manner. That is, right up until I turn on a camera and start to record for a clip to be posted to KKF. Then I turn into a shaky, unsure, fumbling mess. The nerves are real. I'd not do it at all except I enjoy this thread and I actually learn from seeing myself, shaky or otherwise. :)

Now, you have the added advantage of upstaging many of us with a gorgeous cutting board to highlight a fine knife from a great French maker.

I'd say taken on the whole, you did just fine. Just fine indeed. :)

I’ve done a lot of crazy things in my life that I’ve dove into head first without a care. However, few things have given me as much apprehension as posting a cutting video to a forum full of chefs and culinary enthusiasts. And watching the video back, I can see how not call and relaxed I am with every cut.

So let me start by saying, feel free to tell me how you think I can improve these videos. I am going to make these to show off the incredible work of makers, to people who may be considering purchasing their work. So if there is anyway I can improve the quality of the content to showcase the work better or make these videos more useful, please let me know.

For my first video I’ve already realized I need to tweak the camera angle a bit.

Anyways, without further adieu, my first cutting video featuring my Milan Gravier Full Kasumi Wide Bevel Damascus Twist Gyuto.

Hopefully this video attaches right 😬

I love that you’re using your collection of unicorns! I always hate watching myself cut; I can’t figure out why I keep making videos of it 😂

Anyway, I wanna see that Straub jailbird in action next.

I love that you’re using your collection of unicorns! I always hate watching myself cut; I can’t figure out why I keep making videos of it 😂

Anyway, I wanna see that Straub jailbird in action next.
I’m glad you appreciate it. For every person that says they love it, I get a DM from some loser telling me I’m “ruining the value of the knife”.

And a Jailbird video sounds like a brilliant idea. I’ll make sure to get on that!

I’m glad you appreciate it. For every person that says they love it, I get a DM from some loser telling me I’m “ruining the value of the knife”.

And a Jailbird video sounds like a brilliant idea. I’ll make sure to get on that!

You inspired me to watch his episode of Forged in Fire. He looks totally unlike my mental image but I love his calm but kickass attitude throughout the episode.

“Me winning is improbable” 🤣. Best line ever.

-If you insist on doing horizontal cuts on onions (insert debate on radial cuts vs horizontal & vertical cuts here), I found it easier to do in one go. You start at the heel of your knife and just sort of flick with your wrist to pull it through in one go. It's more efficient than sawing back and forth, and there's also less risk of it pulling the onion apart.

-Personally I'd never split a potato in half when making dice. Just make planks with the whole potato, or trim a little bit off one side just to make it stable.

And a knife that doesn't get used is completely useless as a tool... that's about as pointless to have in your kitchen as having as second penis on a celibate man.

-If you insist on doing horizontal cuts on onions (insert debate on radial cuts vs horizontal & vertical cuts here), I found it easier to do in one go. You start at the heel of your knife and just sort of flick with your wrist to pull it through in one go. It's more efficient than sawing back and forth, and there's also less risk of it pulling the onion apart.

-Personally I'd never split a potato in half when making dice. Just make planks with the whole potato, or trim a little bit off one side just to make it stable.

And a knife that doesn't get used is completely useless as a tool... that's about as pointless to have in your kitchen as having as second penis on a celibate man.
On the plus side, 1/2 pee time!

I’m gonna try all of this, thank you!

Sharing some cutting videos I made while trying out the Isasmedjan MCX Apex Ultra passaround courtesy of @jedy617

This first one starts with the Isas then I switch to a Kamon for comparison.

Back to the Isas for some onions, tomatoes, and celery.

You inspired me to watch his episode of Forged in Fire. He looks totally unlike my mental image but I love his calm but kickass attitude throughout the episode.

“Me winning is improbable” 🤣. Best line ever.

Listen to him on the Full Blast podcast. Will give you a whole different perspective and appreciation of his talents.

Sharing some cutting videos I made while trying out the Isasmedjan MCX Apex Ultra passaround courtesy of @jedy617

This first one starts with the Isas then I switch to a Kamon for comparison.

View attachment 232402

Back to the Isas for some onions, tomatoes, and celery.

View attachment 232403
That's pretty huge difference in food release, I can feel it abit between his Birch&Bevel knife and the MCX but not as much as this.

I suck at taking videos. But I think everyone should see how effortlessly this Markin cuts

View attachment 235905

Every time I use my Markin I’m surprised all over again by how great it is. Really nice knife for a very reasonable price and certainly one of my better impulse buys (I actually bought it in the middle of a conference call when he DM’d me on IG).

Still quite new to KKF so I figured I better put my onions where my mouth is.

First cuts with my Wakui Seiryu 240mm.

Not my finest performance partly down to the knife being quite a bit heavier and taller than I’m used to, partly down to the inevitable nerves when filming any chopping for this forum 😅

I love the weight on this, a total monster designed for high volume prep.

Back