For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tale of two knives.

Picked up one of those fabled ironclad Toyamas off BST last week courtesy of @Hz_zzzzzz . I think I am the 3rd or 4th owner and the knife had been touched up a handful of times. While not at all thick behind the edge, it lost some of that nail flexing thinness associated with Toyamas/Watanabes so I did some minor work on a SG500 and took off some extra meat at the tip. Compared to my stainless clad Wat, the Toyama has a bit more meat in the midsection of the grind. The Wat is a more purely effortless cutter while the Toyama has more forward heft and better food release

1623431846285.jpeg

Toyama choil

Second knife is the HVB I’ve had for a few weeks. Killer workhorse with high shoulders/shinogi line. Got a good feeling for the grind over a couple of weeks and last week, I decided to finally do some work on it to gear it towards my preferences. Eased/rounded the shoulders, more so on the left side, and thinned it out a tiny bit behind the edge to get some of that sweet, sweet near zero edge feeling while cutting. @captaincaed , @IsoJ now I have to get my hands on a Kippington workhorse to compare 😅

1623431960858.jpeg

HVB choil

Please excuse the loud music in this one 😁

As a side note, I foresee a lot of sweet potato fries in my diet this week.

Last edited:
A tale of two knives.

Picked up one of those fabled ironclad Toyamas off BST last week courtesy of @Hz_zzzzzz . I think I am the 3rd or 4th owner and the knife had been touched up a handful of times. While not at all thick behind the edge, it lost some of that nail flexing thinness associated with Toyamas/Watanabes so I did some minor work on a SG500 and took off some extra meat at the tip. Compared to my stainless clad Wat, the Toyama has a bit more meat in the midsection of the grind. The Wat is a more purely effortless cutter while the Toyama has more forward heft and better food release

View attachment 130860
Toyama choil

Second knife is the HVB I’ve had for a few weeks. Killer workhorse with high shoulders/shinogi line. Got a good feeling for the grind over a couple of weeks and last week, I decided to finally do some work on it to gear it towards my preferences. Eased/rounded the shoulders, more so on the left side, and thinned it out a tiny bit behind the edge to get some of that sweet, sweet near zero edge feeling while cutting. @captaincaed , @IsoJ now I have to get my hands on a Kippington workhorse to compare 😅

View attachment 130861
HVB choil

Please excuse the loud music in this one 😁

As a side note, I foresee a lot of sweet potato fries in my diet this week.

Great videos, thanks for posting. You should definitly try Kippingtons work when you get a change.

Great videos, thanks for posting. You should definitly try Kippingtons work when you get a change.

On the rare occasions a Kip pops up for sale, either my knife budget is mysteriously depleted or I’m seconds too late. One day though…

@kpham12 nothing wrong with that! I've never tried the Kip WH, but I did like the HVB quite a lot, and when I'm employed again, will likely get another. It can do those sheet cuts like you did with the carrots better than I expected. That's becoming my new acid test for almost any knife I try

Yeah, it’s surprisingly good at really thin carrot sheets and they don’t stick much either. Some knives struggle a bit with that.

Red potatoes with Kanehide TK

**Closed captions**

Djuwip ………... Djuwip. Djuwip-Djuwip-Djuwip… Djuwip. Djuwip-Djuwip-Djuwip.

I'd personally love to see something from @marc4pt0 in here. I've personally been curious about how Newham and Kamon look on the board.
Kamon is at least as sexy on the board as they are looking.
Already used his production knife gen 2, a denty hollow, a ShiChi Mai Walkschliff and his prototype S-hook grind. Didn't really do any vids though, just some short ones to show a bit of food release with S-hook and was first time filming myself while cutting. Didn't really feel comfortable and you can see that in my cutting. Looking like a dork.

Need to make one when I get my new one.

Really curious about Newham and sooner or later gonna pull the trigger probably.

Back