For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And your thoughts?

I received last week 5 new knives, so still need more time on it. both the raquin and shibata bought here.

the shibata is a great surprise for me, love the cutting performance and its feel tough for such a thin knife. it came with 2 micro chips and it was very easy to fix and sharpen. also AS and stainless clad one of my favorite combos.

the Raquin steel is really outstanding, felt great during sharpening and take a super sharp edge. the handle is one of the best i tried(but why its so long). cutting is good, tip really run easy through ingredients and back half will wedge a bit on big carrots. main concern for me is something about the balance, its not feel "natural" in my hands yet. I had to switch the grip many times during a dinner prep.

Cutting some carrots again, knives are: Martin Huber, Simon Herde, pimped Wüsthof, Kamon Santoku, Dalman Triple Hollow Grind and the kife of all knives, "Greek" knife by Uwe Mattern (2:40)

I like all those knives (more or less) but the Greek knife is absolutely amazing.

Mack

Raquin KT 240 and Toyama dammy 240 cutting potatoes, carrot and onion. Bonus raquin cutting beef. Overall the Toyama sees less resistance but raquin KT releases food better. I think my polish affected Toyama’s food release a bit but nothing I can’t shake off. I enjoy using both knives.

The ingredients were used for Borscht soup. It’s very satisfying cutting so much stuff.
View attachment 146851

What the hell is wrong with that carrot, did you buy it from Chernobyl farmers market? I love borscht.

Now I’m out of big carrots so I’m using some 3 cm carrots to show my newly arrived Toyama 210 nakiri, in comparison with a 210 Yoshikane. These 2 are basically my 2 best carrot cutters. In the first minute, for a few times I was holding the Toyama loosely on the handle to see if it can cut carrot with its own weight. I think it’s almost there but still can use some normal light human force.

Now I’m out of big carrots so I’m using some 3 cm carrots to show my newly arrived Toyama 210 nakiri, in comparison with a 210 Yoshikane. These 2 are basically my 2 best carrot cutters. In the first minute, for a few times I was holding the Toyama loosely on the handle to see if it can cut carrot with its own weight. I think it’s almost there but still can use some normal light human force.

I just got the 180 Toyama and I am in love, thing cut a Brunoise yesterday like butter.

i put my eye on the 210 nakiri, would you say it’s feel like a cleaver? Or it’s more delicate as usual nakiri just a bit longer?

great video! is the raquin kt or standard grind?

According to seller its tractor grind, but its doesn’t look very thick. Although watanabe is heavier but thinner behind the edge.

Reactions: hmh
The shinogi looks high. It might have been thinned.

i think for sure, the bevels is kind of flat
50F1D8D0-DBF4-456D-B6CA-A277497B6EC9.jpeg

The only way I have found to keep the Watanabe from sticking in the board is to stop at 1k.

Thanks its a good tip, I'm still with the original sharpening waiting for a few more micro chips. I'm usually finish on chosera 3k but might try 1-2K edge first.

for sure its the most aggressive factory edge i ever had, but the the sticking is slowing me down cause I'm afraid chopping with me usual amount of force.

Trying out my new Hitohira Tanaka Kyuzo 240 mm gyuto on a red onion. Not sure if it’s on the level of some of the beauties featured on this thread but it was a pleasure to use

Videos are from last month, but forgot to post them. I thinned out my Watanabe ironclad 240mm a bit more, used it at home daily for about a week of decently heavy prep and then went and got some dense foods to really test the grind on. In order, I cut a carrot, a sweet potato and then some cassava root/yucca, which I’ve found is hard to cut no matter how thin your knife is and I wouldn’t want to go at it with a knife that’s too thin.

The Wat is relatively thick in the midsection and every time I get halfway through a cut, I think “it’s going to wedge here”, but it keeps plowing right on through. Definitely lives up to the reputation that the older iron clad Wats have for good performance on dense foods plus good food release. After the yucca, I checked edge retention by slicing some paper towel. Not exactly a scientific test, but a good indicator of what condition the edge is in. All sections of the week old edge were still razor sharp without touching a stone or strop. I could probably get it a little thinner behind the edge before it gets too delicate.

I was making something halfway between a crostini and a crouton. This was complete nonsense but for some reason was still really satisfying to do

Back