For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a 210mm Koho Ai-deba to break down an amberjack. First time doing an AJ and I made a bit of a funky cut at the end that I'll blame on being tired, but a fun fish to clean nonetheless. Sorry about the vertical video, originally expected it to be watched on a phone 😬

Chopped onions for 120 hotdogs with the 225 mm kamon

IMG_20220923_193918_425.jpg

A handle. Pshh. Sellout. You’ve changed, man. You’ve changed. *pokes chest*

Never meet your heroes man.

😝

Also, viva jalapeno!

And then... As he rolled the bell pepper the wife comments, "I've tried that. It's not that easy." I reply, "I do that." She answers, "Whatever."

Kaeru Wakui Workhorse after thinning. The original grind is very nicely done for what it is, but very thick in the midsection all down the knife. Like a thicker Heiji if the shoulders were convex instead of a hard shinogi. 6 mm spine out of the handle with very slight taper.

I’ve been thinning bit by bit for a while now, raised the shoulders in the middle third, thinned the front third from edge to spine, grinding in more taper and did a little work at the heel, but mostly left it alone. Made the grind flatter in the front while maintaining enough meat in the middle for good food release. Biggest challenge was getting the front end thin enough near the spine to where it wouldn’t completely split bigger carrots like an axe.

The steel is frustratingly hard while thinning, but it pays off because edge holding is great. Use it at work on poly boards with a very acute edge without issue (although I’ve been bringing a synthetic rubber board to work sometimes to make life easier).

Man you did a great job @kpham12 ! Also, nice edit on the vid 🤌
Lol, thanks, but I can’t really take credit. It was my first time using iMovie and I just put all the clips into the app and it came out like that. I also thought “dang, this editing looks kinda nice!”

Meglio MagnaCut 10” Western Chefs vs a carrot.

Got this from BST. Sharpened at a low angle to see how the steel feels on stone. To be honest it’s quite difficult to raise a burr. Started with Chosera 800 and it was too slow. Changed to SG 500 and it was still too slow (shocked). Then changed to SG 320 and finally raised a burr. And it was not easy to deburr either. Feel like I need better tool like diamond stones to properly sharpen it.

Regarding the cutting feeling, the grind is completely flat on both sides, and it’s about 0.25 mm thick at 1 mm above the edge. Could be thinner BTE but the food release is surprisingly good, which you can see in the video. The profile works well for rocking and chopping. Overall it’s a nice factory made knife.

Back