Forced-patina-like finish on stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
I want to put a finish on stainless that looks like a vinegar forced patina - kinda even, dull, matte grey.

BUT... I am also idle. And I do not want to spend hours faffing about about on stones.

Is there an easier way?

(And don't anyone say 'sandpaper' either. I am attempting to abnegate hard work here, not embrace it.)

Warm hydrochloric acid. Full ppe, outdoors or drawcabinet. STRONGLY corrosive fumes (so if outdoors not near your car either 🤗.

Jaysus Robin! If my options are; faffing about on stones or flirting with a grizzly death, I will reluctantly have to opt for the former.

I should've been clearer originally... there are actually two things that I would like to avoid if possible: Hard work and gasses that dissolve cars. ;)

In the end I did have to faff about on stones, but I think it was worth it :)

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_1853.jpeg

Nice work. What did you end up doing?

Cheers!

Belt sander to make the tang hidden rather than full, and put the k-tip on. Blade work was done with; sandpaper, Norton SiC, King 800, King 1200. Steel was softer than the stuff I'm used to and it surprised me how much of a difference that made, all went pretty quick tbh :).

Latest posts

Back