Forgecraft hi carbon 9.75 Chef's Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, everyone, for the generosity of your time and expertise!
I love knives. I've had a set of Henkel 4 stars for about 35 yrs. Unfortunately they are still in perfect condition. I really want to dive head first into high carbon and super fine grain steels that are insanely sharpenable.

I decided to "date" different inexpensive used knives and steels for a year before trying to find the perfect bride. Hence the Forgie. I want to learn how different steels feel on the stones.

So you mean not just rounding the choil, but removing material to change the profile? You could move the heel forward a few mm or create a TF-style finger rest. I like using a dremel with reinforced cutoff wheel for that type of work. You can use it the normal way to rough-cut the basic shape leaving a ~1mm margin for error, then use the edge of the wheel to grind the finished profile. My hand isn't particularly steady but I was able to get a nice smooth curve that way.
What's a TF style finger rest ? Another acronym for my dictionary

What's a TF style finger rest ? Another acronym for my dictionary
It refers to the maker Teruyasu Fujiwara (TF), who is known for including a notch in the choil area for your finger
teruyasu-fujiwara-maboroshi-210mm-gyuto-front-close_orig.jpg

It refers to the maker Teruyasu Fujiwara (TF), who is known for including overgrinds, poor fitting handle scales, playing "20 pictures" to find the least messed up one, ridiculous price jump from 210mm to 240mm, bent spine and poor fit and finish all around a notch in the choil area for your finger
teruyasu-fujiwara-maboroshi-210mm-gyuto-front-close_orig.jpg
:dancingchicken:

Back