Forged Stainless mono, Nakiri ,with hollow geometry, prototype

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well give me a little while to play with it and i'll send it off on its travels, EU then the States, :biggrin:

Is a hollow grind above the edge something done in commercial knives? I think this is a really cool design but I've never seen it done before?

I'd love to take this weirdo for a ride! (Those words have gotten me in some tight situations before...HAH!)

I rechecked the specifications..

at 58mm high .. it should not have any knuckle clearance issues and in fact wld serve as a mini -cleaver of which my sugimoto stainless chinese chefs knife is 190mm long x 950 mm high . Most Nakiris are between 160 adn 180mm long.

wld love if it is a tad longer say at 16cm and the Balance point is at the heel.. that wld be my perfect mini chopper.. excellent for me as home cook for I can cut/ chop adn scoop adn cook as a continuous prep work is not my thing really; ( maybe not so well organized) . From your video.. your cutting or rather chopping technique is more fluent....

Will kindly confirm the balance point and I would like to seriously consider getting this for my grandma..

Have fun
D

I'm just curious. Does everyone here get such ridiculous edges on their knives? That is seriously one sharp knife.

I am nearly done playing with this one folks will put up as a pass around as planned soon.:D Don, there is trade off for the polished edge in this particular steel because of its super fine grain i'm finding Its a better, longer lasting working edge taken back to toothy with a 1K. Where as I find with my carbon dammy I can polish the edge and as it blunts it remains toothy and still cuts.

That's really cool knife, Will. Great food release, nice looks, cuts beautifully. Well done! I like your board too. :)

Passaround thread now up, open the EU, USA and Canada we can sort the logistics out as we go:D

Will, do you strop the blade after 1k rather than finish on higher grit stones with this steel. I' m fairly new to the forum but I'd loved to be included on a list of pass a rounds. I'll leave a deposit . I like idea and function of a broad blade with the precision the hollow ground might afford .

Sorry mate, missed that one. I do like to get carried away so I tend to take the edge all the way, strop it at the end with a 1k stone to give it some bit or 1 light pass, then strop as required. If it gets blunt or over stropped, touch it with the 1k again.
Hey Lefty, that board is a piece of apple wood, Its pretty soft but its stood up surprisingly well, It warped a bit but has not moved any more.

Again a little bump for the sake of the my current project showing the evolution of the ideas and also helping me decide the weight of geometry I'm going for on the current. This one at the thin end of the spectrum for me, the first composite cleaver was much beefier and made use of the weight combining thin geometry.
This piece was the basis for the evolution of this type of geometry for me, based directly from experiencing a very very nicely forged of Takeda kindly lent to me by Tom back in 2012.

Back