Forum favorite Japanese knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like you could TLDR this with Sanjo, Myojin, Ashi, Y Tanaka. Kato and Shig ofc.
For the stuff that's popular elsewhere but not here: most Takefu knives (Kurosaki, Anryu, Shibata), TF, and Takeda.
Mostly agree, except for the TF part. I think KKF loves TF more than any of the other forums.

In general I feel like KKF preferences lean toward knives with more meat in the spine. I started off enthralled with more lasery thin knives, but as my collection has grown I also developed a preference for heaver knives that are still laser thin BTE.

Last edited:
Agreed, re: lasers. I think this comes down to a misunderstanding that some people have about "thinness" and cutting performance.

KKF loves TF but also hates it. On Facebook, people go nuts for TF and don't say anything bad.
I don't think Takeda is that loved here tbh. You hardly see people buying or selling them, but people go crazy for them elsewhere (especially Facebook).

TBH I think this is mainly an artifact of marketing

why Shigeki and not Yoshikazu ?, why no Kato or Shigs ? all the answers but the ones i want

Mostly agree, except for the TF part. I think KKF loves TF more than any of the other forums.

In general I feel like KKF preferences lean toward knives with more meat in the spine. I started off enthralled with more lasery thin knives, but as my collection has grown I also developed a preference for heaver knives that are still laser thin BTE.

I think this is going to end up describing me.

why Shigeki and not Yoshikazu ?, why no Kato or Shigs ? all the answers but the ones i want
Mentioning Konosuke FM, Kaijou, Hitohito Tanaka etc already included some of most desirable and favored knives from him. Kato and Shigs are desirable but hardly forum favorite since the price forbide most of us from owning one.

Can we get a choil shot?
316BF05E-A78B-4C3A-91DA-B2CDA76D5BFB.jpeg

I like to look at it the other way around... what makers I'd never recommend. J-knives it'd be a rather short list: avoid Global or Shun, take Miyabi with the appropriated grain of salt but they're interesting at least, and without trying I'd put Mac along with Miyabi, in a much more sober way. Then what.... if one's willing to improve them, most of them are rather pretty darn good for the money. Just beware of low-tier factory as a whole but they're still apt to do more to impress a newcomer than their western counterpart for a similar price. Otherwise, not getting too much caught into the high end is also I believe a good caution. North of 400$ USD, at least consider the alternative of a custom maker.

Otherwise I'll agree with most KKF choices, they're hard to avoid, and even harder to call them anything short of pretty ****ing good. There's a reason why they're favorites.

K. Tanaka (Matsubara) is so rarely mentionned, or always a latecomer, amongst the much more obvious Tanakas, is all I can really add to this. If not that if I'd have to go really dirt cheap again, I'd buy another Kaji-Bei. I recognize that guy needs to expand a bit on shapes and lenghts, however, if to become a point of interest.

If I just answer the question top of my head, it'd be S. Tanaka and Wakui. They're not the ultimate of anything, just the very best values for different reasons to me, and I'd readily build a complete set of knives just choosing amongst these two and have everything someone needs not just to work, but to shine and have fun. Obviously, with hundred of choices at hand, it's easy to start including... well as I said, just about half of them at least?
I would not buy a Global now, but 30 years ago I bought 4 of them, when they were big news, and big prices for a working junior chef. All these years later, having been in commercial kitchens, banging loosely around the knife drawer at home, used by my kids since the were small, dropped on the floor, chucked in the sinks, sometimes stuck in the dishwasher they still do what they were made for; to take an edge and cut stuff into smaller pieces. I reckon they will go with my kids when they leave home and serve them for some years to come.

Just asking because I never asked before.

But no unicorns(kato, shigs) and no western custom makers please.

My faves: Pre-hype Kato; Tsourkan; Takada no Hamono; Raquin, Konosuke Sumiiro; Konosuke Tetsujin; Mazaki circa 2017; Yanick; Iron clad Watanabe; Shig (non-unicorn); Heiji carbon; TF.

Knives I recommend most to home cooks wanting to upgrade from cheap knives: Mac Pro; or Misono 440.

Last edited:
Ones I’d like to have back, Pre 2015 TF Nashiji, Wide bevel Takeda , Old gesshin Heiji and old Kato standard. Ones I still have and use….. old mazaki and anything yoshikane.

My faves: Pre-hype Kato; Tsourkan; Takada no Hamono; Raquin, Konosuke Sumiiro; Konosuke Tetsujin; Mazaki circa 2017; Yanick; Iron clad Watanabe; Shig (non-unicorn); Heiji carbon; TF.

Knives I recommend most to home cooks wanting to upgrade from cheap knives: Mac Pro; or Misono 440.
Don’t see too much sumiiro love in here but I agree it’s one of the knives I got that woah moment with after the first cut

Like old Gibson guitars, when you get that one, keep it cuz you can never get it back.
Lol, so true. My home is here in Montana where Gibson acoustics are made. When my wife wanted a new guitar almost 25 years ago, we went up to the factory to pick one out. She knew what she wanted, so they brought out a dozen of that model for her to play. She spent time playing each several times and picked "that one." She still plays it...

A standard Kato 240 gyuto is fairly easy to find on the BST forum. It's only when you move onto the more rare Kato offerings, then it begins to get harder and harder to find one BNIB or in really nice condition used.

Latest posts

Back