• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Four knives - Gesshin Ginga, Mazaki, Masashi, Hinoura

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knives and specs
Hey all, four (4) knives for sale in order to fund incoming work. If I mispriced something, then let me know. As always, working chefs (with a picture in the kitchen) get 10% off asking price. Asking prices are shipped CONUS. Int’l buyers assume cost of shipping and insurance, minus $15.

IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG

These are all knives I like very much, and will buy again once I graduate and have gainful employment again. In the meantime, need to fulfil my financial obligation to the Massdrop. The new kiri box is really going to set me back... (joking, come on now).

Gesshin Ginga 270 Stainless sujihiki; $290 $270 sold
Bought from JKI ($320, saya comes standard). Never sharpened. Very nice ho wood handle. I know it sounds crazy to say it, but it’s much nicer than the average ho handle. It’s got a rounded bottom, very crisp corners (bolster too). Great F&F, cuts like a laser should.
Edit: reduced to be better in line with other site's pricing.

Mazaki 210 kasumi gyuto White 2/iron; $ 240 $230 sold
Bought from PDX Knife House ($275 w/ extra saya). Never sharpened. Keyaki handle with seamless transition to bolster. Comes with saya. Thin behind the edge, quite good food release, and avoids wedging quite well. Good distal taper, and finished on stones, so the bevels have a nice even grind.

Masashi 240 gyuto SLD/stainless, new tip; $240 sold
Bought from Aframes ($275, saya comes standard). Sharpened once. Very grippy bunt chestnut handle. Comes with saya.

My friend tapped the edge of the sink washing it, and I’ve shown this in the photos, and the video to illustrate while cutting. I find that it still cuts herbs without any problem with the weight of the knife alone, no accordion cuts. Hopefully you have the same results.

Hinoura aogami super (AS)/stainless clad petty; $190 $145 sold
Bought from EE ($225), no saya. Never sharpened. Cuts really nicely, doesn’t wedge too badly in apples (its primary use in my kitchen), releases food quite well. Thin behind the edge with some distal taper. I got this as a petty with knuckle clearance, that holds up well to acidic foods, and it does both well for me.

KnifemakerTypeSteelConstructionCutting Edge
Length (mm)
Height (mm)Thick @ heel (mm)Weight (g)
Gesshin GingaSujihikiStainlessMonosteel26337.52.33117
MasashiGyutoSLDStainless clad24156
MazakiGyutoWhite #2Iron clad220554.45177
Mutsumi HinouraPettyAogami SuperStainless clad150382.8175

Last edited:
For the Mazaki, can you share the location of balance point and also spine thickness midblade?

I owned a 240 from the batch of Mazaki from the knifehouse and will say that they are really nice. REALlY thin behind the edge and nice generous dimensions.

No prob. I can scroll the table sideways on my phone, but I realize it's a bit hard to see.

If it makes a difference, I got that one specifically to allow knuckle clearance and better edge retention on acidic foods, which is where I use a petty most often. It does both well for me.

No prob. I can scroll the table sideways on my phone, but I realize it's a bit hard to see.

If it makes a difference, I got that one specifically to allow knuckle clearance and better edge retention on acidic foods, which is where I use a petty most often. It does both well for me.

It's an interesting offer indeed. And I didn't even think about scrolling - my bad. Was in sort of a hurry to get back to cooking when I saw this. GLWS!

Back