France visit dining

Discussion in 'HSC /// Knives' started by HSC /// Knives, Dec 20, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 20, 2019 #1

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

I'm in France for a few weeks, starting off with Paris.
    My g/f performs at a theater for a few weeks so she has an apartment here in Montmarte.
    Later we goto her home in the Valmondois area, a short trip to the North of France, and then a trip to the south of France. I'll post my dining experiences throughout the trip.

Some context, when I'm at home in central AZ , I practically never go out to eat, I always cook at home, pretty much every night. So mostly I want to try Bib Gourmand type restaurants primarily because of the value.
    My g/f is from the north of France and she has little to no interest in haute cuisine or sophisticated flavors. She is fine with a plain soup or simple foods, or as she calls it - baby foods.
    So I choose the restaurants and she comes with, but frankly she could take it or leave it.

First stop - lereciproque, check out their IG or website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saint Jacques for her

[​IMG]

labor of love, Michi, M1k3 and 8 others like this.
  2. Dec 20, 2019 #2

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

today we went to Les Canailles, however we couldn't get seated as we didn't plan ahead. Many of the nicer restaurants are small and have limited lunch hours and limited seating and we failed to plan, so it's not like a brasserie or bistro where they have plenty of seating at most times.

[​IMG]

So went to a place I enjoyed when I was here in August. Canard and Champagne.

some lentil soup with pumpkin, and their Paradox burger which I love. Duck meat and bacon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dec 25, 2019 #3

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

Uma Nota restaurant where a chef has 2 of my knives, We stopped in about 3PM to say hi and chat. The kitchen was closed at that time opening up later in the evening as this place stays open till 2 AM

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    M1k3 and Michi like this.
  4. Dec 25, 2019 #4

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

my G/F is an actress in Paris and after her last performance Sunday afternoon she wanted to take me to a Sausage Sauerkraut experience.

Chez Jenny in the Republique area is frequented by locals. It's an Alsace cuisine. My first time having pig knuckle.

Considering all the meat to slice the table knives were a disappointment....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    labor of love, M1k3, riba and 4 others like this.
  5. Dec 25, 2019 #5

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

Then we went to her country house near L'isle Adam, north of Paris.
    A small local restaurant for lunch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dec 25, 2019 #6

mise_en_place

mise_en_place

mise_en_place

Supporting Member

I love Alsatian food and wine. Looks like you're having a great time so far.

7. Dec 28, 2019 #7

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

yesterday's trip took us into Paris for a walk, a movie and dinner.
    First hot chocolate from LE Drugstore, which is basically like an entire chocolate bar, milk and cream - super good!

[​IMG]

Dinner was at Chez Fernand. https://www.instagram.com/chezfernandguisarde/?hl=en This place was suggested to us by a chef (Mathieu) I met in August where we had dinner in L'isle Adam. If I understand correctly Mathieu used to apprentice for chef Remi (of Chez Fernand) . but at another restaurant. Chez Fernand is very classical French. Mathieu had called Chef Remi ahead for us. We got an excellent corner table. The place is cozy but not loud.

[​IMG]

Chef served us some St Jacques d’Erquy , purée de patates douces à la violette right away,

[​IMG]

Ravioli foie de gras, silky is the word that comes to mind to describe the sauce.

[​IMG]

Haricorts in some excellent sauce

[​IMG]

Marrow

[​IMG]

Beef bourguignon de Remi

[​IMG]

chef came out to speak with us, very friendly!

[​IMG]

ian, Caleb Cox and M1k3 like this.
  8. Jan 11, 2020 #8

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

HSC /// Knives

Professional Craftsman

back from my trip so I thought I'd close this out with one more post,

La Table de Cassan is a restaurant in L’Isle Adam northwest of Paris about 40 minutes. Its close to where my g/f lives and where I generally stay in France. I “met” the owner Mathieu on Instagram and we visited his restaurant when I was here over this past summer. We were able to go for dinner again and I was happy to deliver a knife to Mathieu personally.

The first plate is a foie gras samosa as I recall. The following description from Mathieu - "the second photo is a marinated salmon cooked in a blowtorch, with horseradish gel. the third is a fish rillette with old-fashioned mustard cream and Caplan eggs. Then it is a pork filet mignon with spices and pasta stuffed with mushrooms. there is a pan-fried cod served with a soft parmesan potato and a sweet potato roasted in the oven and for dessert it is a soft chocolate with caramelized pineapple with rum .."

I can't recall if Mathieu is a graduate of Ferrandi in Paris but I know he has apprenticed at several restaurants in Paris and including chef Remi from Chez Fernand, (post above). He also has Ferrandi interns working in the kitchen.

Mathieu and his wife run the restaurant. It’s small and cozy for the small town and it’s one of my favorite culinary experiences.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. Jan 12, 2020 #9

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

I like the escargots served with the pork filet. ;)

Thanks for the pics and story!

HSC /// Knives likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted