Fredrik Spåre Impressions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would only comment that these full tang knives actually pushed us to the limit on our budget and we won't likely do such a large batch or the same price if we do full tang again. The handles just took too much time to produce for a project that has "low cost knives" as a defining factor. We try to squeeze as much value as possible into this and work on very slim margins, but we can't do everything sadly.

With that said we are planing to do some more premium stuff in the MCX brand with integrals and more full tangs, but those knives will likely be closer to 500-600EUR. I would certainly push for features like this on those pieces.

We have toyed with the idea and we are looking at doing something in the new Apex Ultra steel later this year. I am not sure if that will be Honyaki or just the forged finish or....???

Any suggestions?

Apex Ultra would be awesome. No idea if that can be / makes sense to differentially harden. The main reason I asked is that while Spare's honyaki is gorgeous, spicy white at 65-66hrc isn't the toughest steel and needs a little extra care in use. Something with similar specs and geometry but a tougher steel would be much easier to use as a daily driver IMO... I haven't tried ApexUltra yet but it sounds like it fits the bill perfectly.

Tapered full tangs look good and can help to balance the blade when the materials used in the handle make the handles heavy. They require more work though, so naturally would increase the cost of the knife. The balance benefits could be achieved other ways, drilling holes into the tang for example. In general, specifically for kitchen knives full tang construction is mostly for looks anyway or for ease of production when we talk about mass produced stamped or similarly produced knives.

In the outdoor knife circles there are arguments for full tang construction, but even there it is not clear if the benefits are real or imagined for most use cases.

So, the blade will be exactly the same as 1st edition second batch. The one with the deeper hammer marks in the forged finish. The main changes will be in the handle, which will be a similar profile to the one on this edition.

I would be in for another one if he did this batch just a bit thinner behind the edge (i.e. spine thickness the same). Totally personal preference though. Loved everything else about my MCX v1.1.

I would only comment that these full tang knives actually pushed us to the limit on our budget and we won't likely do such a large batch or the same price if we do full tang again. The handles just took too much time to produce for a project that has "low cost knives" as a defining factor. We try to squeeze as much value as possible into this and work on very slim margins, but we can't do everything sadly.

With that said we are planing to do some more premium stuff in the MCX brand with integrals and more full tangs, but those knives will likely be closer to 500-600EUR. I would certainly push for features like this on those pieces.

Honestly, when I first saw the photos I was expecting the price to be at least 100EUR higher than you listed them at. Those were really an impressive value, no wonder they sold out in <1min.

Very happy to get one at the current prices. I say apex ultra and honyaki. I did see fredrick trying some elmax with a hand satin that would also be amazing. I personally prefer the clean aesthetic of this last batch without the black finish and hammer marks.

Apex Ultra would be awesome. No idea if that can be / makes sense to differentially harden. The main reason I asked is that while Spare's honyaki is gorgeous, spicy white at 65-66hrc isn't the toughest steel and needs a little extra care in use. Something with similar specs and geometry but a tougher steel would be much easier to use as a daily driver IMO... I haven't tried ApexUltra yet but it sounds like it fits the bill perfectly.

Not sure yet about the variable hardening on this, but it has been compared to Aogami Super or actually could be a little tougher than Aogami Super. In any case I believe that we will see that batch of knives around August at this stage.

Honestly, when I first saw the photos I was expecting the price to be at least 100EUR higher than you listed them at. Those were really an impressive value, no wonder they sold out in <1min.
The irony here is that we wanted to create something that could potentially be sold a little cheaper than the original model. Hahaha, you win some you loose some. Anyway, we still have a plan to do a clean honyaki knife with a basic wa handle at a lower price at some point if we can.

I would be in for another one if he did this batch just a bit thinner behind the edge (i.e. spine thickness the same). Totally personal preference though. Loved everything else about my MCX v1.1.

I will add this feedback in and see if we can accommodate you on that 👍

Yeah so that was really the Spåre I wanted... but of course it was already sold out before I even saw the e-mail.

I can't guarantee a full tang will ever happen again at that price, but we will certainly do a wa handle in the clean honyaki style.

It has arrived! Looks nice but I'm going to try some finger stones and maybe some flitz to try and get some more contrast from the hamon!
20220502_145656.jpg

Very clean and some lovely banding in that steel. Do you plan on etching it?
This was with etching! What I did was etch and polish over again about 3 times. This gave a little bit more contrast to the hamon and kept the rest of the knife polished. Don't plan on doing a forced etch/patina on the whole knife and leaving it. Basically I tried to replicate the amazing work done here: My first Honyaki mirror polishing

I assume I could have gotten similar amazing results but I did not start back on low grit sandpaper and work my way to a true mirror, I just started with fingerstones and metal polish. It's more like a hazy mirror...still probably 7-8 hours of work into it.

This was with etching! What I did was etch and polish over again about 3 times. This gave a little bit more contrast to the hamon and kept the rest of the knife polished. Don't plan on doing a forced etch/patina on the whole knife and leaving it. Basically I tried to replicate the amazing work done here: My first Honyaki mirror polishing

I assume I could have gotten similar amazing results but I did not start back on low grit sandpaper and work my way to a true mirror, I just started with fingerstones and metal polish. It's more like a hazy mirror...still probably 7-8 hours of work into it.

Amazing! Its so cool to see the MCX blades getting customised like this. 👍 🙌 :)

There is always this option. Another Swede and I visited Fredrik this weekend and this was the other guy's punishment for joking too much about Serbian cleavers. We added the "Huusk hole" and put a radius on the handle for symmetry. 52100, if anyone is interested.

IMG_6654.jpg

Real lesson from this though. Fredrik is awesome!

Latest posts

Back