French/German profile gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, braindoc...
That's a nice knife, no doubt. But in your OP you mentioned wanting stainless or semi-stainless, and shirogami is just about in the other end of that spectrum. I know it's not reactive cladding, but it's a very reactive cutting edge, and that's really where it matters the most. White 2 steel probably isn't going to hold an edge as well with rocking as some other steels. I think that you and chiffonadd were on a good track with the stainless Tosa blades, and another thing that comes to mind is a Shigeki Tanaka ginsan; the handles can be not so good, but getting it from K&S bypasses that problem

A lot to think about. Very glad you took the time to reply. Since this a very discretionary purchase I have no need to rush. in the size I’m looking for many of the recommended lines are sold out right now anyway. K&S sells their “lite” version of the Tanaka ginsan without rounding of the spine and choil; wonder, if they can upgrade one for me.

My Kohetsu honesuki is blue#2 steel and rust free so far, but to be honest it does not get a lot of use. If I were to look at a knife with a reactive cutting edge, which steels do you like?

After rethinking things - thank you Up_dog128 - I pulled the trigger last evening. Decided on the Akifusa PM gyuto recommended by chiffonodd, pictured above. Almost went with the 180mm, but my wife surprised me and said she wanted the 210mm. A shout out to Jeff Swanson of Epicurean Edge for extremely responsive service. He answered a couple of emails almost instantly, and the knife was shipped within a couple of hours.

Fwiw I love my Akifusa and it really might be one is the only ones I can think of that I'd never sell. It needed some rounding of spine and choil, but after that it's been a pure love affair.

Our knife arrived yesterday - not bad for standard free shipping from Washington State to Rhode Island. First impressions are quite good. The knife seems flawless and it cuts beautifull.

I do have a question. The enclosed “culinary knife care“ insert warned against a variety of activities including “crushing garlic cloves with the side of the knife.” Now I certainly do not raise the knife over my head and bring it down like a mallet onto a garlic clove. How do you all crush garlic cloves with your j-knives? Do you? Is that what I should save those Ken Onions for??

BTW: The wa handle on the Akifusa is quite nice. So far, as a lefty, I doubt I’ll have an issue with the D-handle.

Instead of smacking garlic, lay your knife on the clove(s) and push hard with the palm of your hand.

Or smack it with a yo-deba.

Or 2-3x the amount a Gyuto can do with a Chinese cleaver.

The enclosed “culinary knife care“ insert warned against a variety of activities including “crushing garlic cloves with the side of the knife.”
6a00e5538de1778834014e88601e3a970d-500wi.jpg

:oops:

It can't happen to honyaki though, so now we know why they cost so much: It's a garlic smashing premium.

Back