Frustration with Instagram and webstore races to get custom makers' new knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the perspective of someone who can amass such a substantial collection of knives in a few months, the Tanaka ironwood is probably indeed the starting point for friends with similar background.

As daveb says:
"First world problem...."

i did not read his blog with a fine toothed comb - was supportive of his efforts overall. He has a new hobby, and wants to write about - I can appreciate the effort around this fledgling hobby and His newfound opinions, some embryonic.

I don’t trust JML judgment or recommendations on knives yet - there are extremely knowledgeable and experienced people here - steel nerds, professional cooks, craftspeople, etc. I trust those individuals perspective. JML has little experience (less than even me) and he is not that qualified to opine yet, because he started very recently.

I also think he does not express an opinion (crickets whenever a query posed to him by an experienced person), or he expresses an opinion wantonly, when he may not know what he is talking about

His has certainly added a dimension to KKF

JML has little experience (less than even me)
Neil Tyson Badass Meme.jpg

So this is now the second time I've seen a Mod come in a stir a pot instead of keeping a thread on track. This thread was designed as a vent and as a conversation point on how releases are run and could possibly be better run. No one cares about your moral stances on world hunger, no one cares if you think someones entitled and no one needed to screen shot specifics when the OP openly acknowledged he didn't want to name names because he saw it as a wide spread issue. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated fingering through 4 pages of **** posting to find the 5 posts actually pertaining to the topic. And yes, I say that knowing none of you care what I think.

I'm ok with Mods voicing an opinion of his own regarding the topic at hand. Mods are also members with opinions just like regular members.
But I would recommend that when a Mod voices a warning as a Mod, that there is a notification in the post that the message is being said in the role of being a Mod. That makes it more clear to members that certain threads are being moderated rather than being opinioned/opinionated.

I'm ok with Mods voicing an opinion of his own regarding the topic at hand. Mods are also members with opinions just like regular members.
But I would recommend that when a Mod voices a warning as a Mod, that there is a notification in the post that the message is being said in the role of being a Mod. That makes it more clear to members that certain threads are being moderated rather than being opinioned/opinionated.

He could have easily posted his opinion without dragging screen shots into it. It pretty creepy the level people are now going to attack certain members. It's bad enough threads get consumed by it, but stalking someones social media is just weird. And again, just want to hammer home the post in question had very little to do with the actual OP. There was no new constructive dialog about the actual issue.

I understand your point. My post was just about how I think Mods should separate their opinions and their moderations in general practice.

I understand your point. My post was just about how I think Mods should separate their opinions and their moderations in general practice.

[mod post]

I actually sometimes do use [mod post] kind of flag - especially if I made both a personal and a mod post. But this whole thread did not contain a [mod post] until now, so there was nothing to flag.

Obvious mod posts are normally not flagged as such. You know them when you see them.

@FishmanDE , the IG post in question was actually brought to my attention by a third party.
[/QUOTE]

@Matus Never said you did the stalking, just the pot stirring.

Wow, if you look at the posts of ganl.ig on IG, he has a LOT of different Raquins. NOW I feel frustrated with trying to buy Raquins. It almost feels like that guy has a direct line to front run the knives on the Raquin website. A 'Flash Boy' of the Raquin website rather than Wall Street. LOL.

Read the book, Flash Boys by Michael Lewis if you want to know what I mean.

I gotta tell ya... I was thinking about this topic last night and realized the gratification gained from scoring my first Raquin, Hazenberg, Kato, Shig, Hinoura etc...

The loop holes I had to go through for each of those knives just made it that much more special and that's something I have came to appreciate.

Funny I was chatting with someone about this. The idea of a chase doesn't excite me, but that's just me. I get my fun from using the knife and talking to the maker, retailer and/or previous owner about it.

Regarding Gan and the post you guys shouldn't have put here... perhaps it's just that some in the knife community prioritize certain makers, work hard to catch them when they're dropped. And perhaps most importantly, don't talk mess and sound like little brats when they can't get one.

I gotta tell ya... I was thinking about this topic last night and realized the gratification gained from scoring my first Raquin, Hazenberg, Kato, Shig, Hinoura etc...

The loop holes I had to go through for each of those knives just made it that much more special and that's something I have came to appreciate.

Precisely! 100% with you on this one.

Regarding Gan and the post you guys shouldn't have put here... perhaps it's just that some in the knife community prioritize certain makers, work hard to catch them when they're dropped. And perhaps most importantly, don't talk mess and sound like little brats when they can't get one.

yep. And there are others who have more Raquins anyway ...

Ever, or do you enjoy chasing things ending up never being able to buy?

I sometimes get frustrated as well, and have even accepted several times I wouldn't be able to buy what I wanted, but somehow it ended up on my path unexpectedly anyway. Do I enjoy the object more in the end? Yes. Can I honestly say I enjoyed the hunt? No, I already gave up in the mean time.

Note that I am strictly talking about searching for very specific items to buy here. Not talking about striving for perfection or getting to the next level etc.

I am always reminded of the Stones - you can’t always get what.....

endless failure vs. impatient expectation of instant gratification

I think you and I fall in between those two extremes

I too accept it, when I could not get a Kato, almost gave up, accepted patience, and I ended up getting one anyway.

Such is the mysterious path of the knife world😊

Back