FS narrow funayuki 8"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSC /// Knives

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
good day,
available, this Japanese style kitchen knife, a narrow funayuki
I'll be shocked if anybody on this forum wants a narrow heel... :cool: but let's give it a go.

laminated steel, Suminagashi pattern, Takefu white core with mild steel cladding. Hand forged and quenched by me to 63-64 RC . 22 layer mild steel cladding. partial foged and etched finish.

203x48 and 146 grams with a curly redwood handle. 2.3 spine .

$375 plus shipping USA priority mail with signature conf
int'l at cost,

FueQPJr.jpg

UTxto8u.jpg

ygBNZ5F.jpg

X7v3kf0.jpg

What makes this a funayuki rather than a gyuto? Just out of interest.

What makes this a funayuki rather than a gyuto? Just out of interest.
good question, thx for asking....a couple reasons...
I'm a student of Murray Carter so I tend to use his terminology.
More specifically from his Bladesmithing book (p. 29) -

Funayuki (meaning "boat or ocean going") has a thin blade, is isosceles shaped, narrower than the wabacho or gyuto, varies in length but tends to be shorter than the gyuto. Was designed to be taken on fishing vessels (more explanation in his book)

There’s something about the shape of the spine that reminds me a lot of Carter’s funayukis. (Although, probably it’s more than that, since it’s not quite as noticeable if I cover up the rest of the knife and just look at the spine.) Or maybe that’s just what you were getting at with “isosceles”.

Lovely knife.

There’s something about the shape of the spine that reminds me a lot of Carter’s funayukis. (Although, probably it’s more than that, since it’s not quite as noticeable if I cover up the rest of the knife and just look at the spine.) Or maybe that’s just what you were getting at with “isosceles”.

Lovely knife.

Probably the curvature towards the tip.

Back