• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS FS some Jnats and Takenoko stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello forum,
During the last 6 months I have been collecting some stones to try. Some were lost only to show up months later, and in general, i just got a bit too carried away.
I know these can be hard to find, hard to understand, and hard to know you are getting something useful for some. I will try my best to explain the usefulness of the stones as i know them. Id trade for an Uchi or interesting midgrit like natsuya or ueno.

here in this picture: Red Aoto, Marouyama Tomae, Shobudani Suita, Okudo Shiro Suita Koppa, and an unknown finisher/prefinish stone.
stone group.jpg

Red Aoto: $250 pending
Marouyama Tomae: $250 pending
Shobudani Suita: $420
Shiro Suita Koppa: $220
Unknown finishing stone: $150 pending

Red Aoto: 205x76x32 Kinda Muddy, maybe 2-3k polish? good for after your synthetics for bevel polish, or leaves a great edge
Red aoto.jpg

Marouyama Tomae: 182x62x30 Muddy stone around 3-4k grit maybe? I think of it as the prep stone, the scratch eraser. it gets your bevels ready for an uchi or suita. Also good for sharpening.
Marou tomae.jpg

Shobudani Suita: 201x75x30 Bought at carbon knife co, really nice stone, maybe 5k ish? Won't be sad to keep it, but maybe someone else wants to try? Finish is semi mirror. Pretty easy polish, not too hard, not too soft.
Shobudani suita.jpg

Last edited:
Okudo Shiro Suita Koppa: 140x70x22 great little koppa stone, pretty usable shape really. both sides are flat as well. leaves a pretty cool finish, but not super easy to use. pretty hard stone, maybe 8k finish? ive included the type of finish it gives, lots of nuance and contrast.
okudo shiro suita koppa.jpg

shiro suita koppa finish.jpg

unknown finishing stone: 170x60x40 An auction find, this one is pretty and hard, but easier to use than the shiro suita. Its kinda glassy feeling, but not difficult to get a slurry going and it cuts metal! This one gives an interesting finish unlike any of my stones, and really nice contrast.
Unknown hard stone.jpg

unknown stone finish.jpg

Last edited:
Last is a synthetic I never use anymore, the Takenoko stone: $40
takenoko stone.jpg

some say its 6k, some say its 8k. i didnt use mine much, it has a box and the stone for flattening.

I would consider trades for natsuya (or similar) or uchigumori stones

Last edited:
Perfect prices for really nice stones!
GLWS
Thanks. must have been ok prices, haha, most are spoken for.

Shobudani suita and okudo shiro still here, these are the nuanced stones of the lot.

If anyone needs a nice but cheap finisher to test your kasumi skills, this Koppa is your ticket to high dollar finishes... for lower dollars!

Can i see a better picture of the polish for the shiro suita koppa please? If it’s still available

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back