Fu Rin Ka Zan Wi another JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the looks of them, and the price is right. The 210 gyuto is calling out to me...man it's tough not to buy it!

They look very similar to the Fuijwaras at EE to me.
2cwwyl2.jpg

Oh, I probably should of read about them first before posting...looks like they worked with Teruyasu Fujiwara for these.

They look similar to his nashiji line.
I'm hoping for one of his maboroshi no meito gyutos for Christmas :)

Seb, we seem to like a lot of the same knives. We should just purchase 50% of a knife each and ship it back an forth as we please. Haha

These look great. 174g for a 240mm puts them in the middleweight category, but i'm willing to bet they are thin behind the edge. Very nice price for a hand-forged wa-gyuto of this type.

They look pretty good. I'm curious about the heat treat though. Where did they end up on the scale? I'm not too worried about thinning though. The stainless is probably quite soft and can be thinned without a lot of fuss. I'm not terribly worried about a knife that shows some indication of hand forging. It's kind of comforting in a way when a knife isn't so refined as to make you precious about it and always think in the back of your mind about making sure that you "don't mess it up".

RC 64-65 according to JWW. One would assume the Maboroshi no Meito line are similar (also white #1, stainless clad) and they are stated to be 64-65 at EE, and 63-64 by Jon in one of his videos.

i bought the 270 suji shortly after this thread started . the finish is [much?]more crude but similar to his nashiji [pear skin] finish, i have a small nakiri from that line that i got from japanwoodworker. fit is good . the bevel appeared to be done on a grinder and was a bit uneven. it was, however , sharp enough to be a joy to use out of the box. i used it to score the duck breast in my 'duck breast appetizer' thead and it can be seen in that thread.

I broke down and ordered a 270 gyuto. The knife is claimed to be made in collaboration with Teruyasu Fujiwara and looked pretty interesting from the get go. I was looking for another 270 for work, since regretting selling my Carbonext, and this fit the bill.

Coming in at 200 g, (website says 214) this knife is more than 3mm at the spine and does not taper much to the tip, still 2mm close to 1 inch from the tip, one would think this would lead to a heavier knife than it is, but the taper to the edge is great and the knife appears to be ground very well at a little more than 60/40 right hand bias. The finish is rustic and has some flaws on the stainless lamination including some separation near the tip…this is not a big deal to me, but pointed it out anyway.

It appears as if there was an attempt to round the spine, but failed. The choil, although rounded and more comfortable still needs some finishing to round it completely.

The top and bottom of the machi don’t align or are not squared, the bottom is almost 5mm shorter than the top, which is going to be frustrating for me when I re-handle it.

The edge held on very well for the abuse that I put it through for the last two days. OOTB retention is better than my MC funy, (although I think MC takes his white edges too steep, my funy is much better now that I adjusted the angle) .

There are lots of micro micro chips along the edge,

edge.jpg

not sure if this is due to the reported 64 hardness or just my poly work boards. The Carter did not exhibit the micro chipping in near this extent.

Micro chipping or not, I am happy with the purchase. I am going to play with some angles in the course of the next few months to see what I can make out of it.

I broke down and ordered a 270 gyuto. The knife is claimed to be made in collaboration with Teruyasu Fujiwara and looked pretty interesting from the get go. I was looking for another 270 for work, since regretting selling my Carbonext, and this fit the bill.

Coming in at 200 g, (website says 214) this knife is more than 3mm at the spine and does not taper much to the tip, still 2mm close to 1 inch from the tip, one would think this would lead to a heavier knife than it is, but the taper to the edge is great and the knife appears to be ground very well at a little more than 60/40 right hand bias. The finish is rustic and has some flaws on the stainless lamination including some separation near the tip…this is not a big deal to me, but pointed it out anyway.

It appears as if there was an attempt to round the spine, but failed. The choil, although rounded and more comfortable still needs some finishing to round it completely.

The top and bottom of the machi don’t align or are not squared, the bottom is almost 5mm shorter than the top, which is going to be frustrating for me when I re-handle it.

The edge held on very well for the abuse that I put it through for the last two days. OOTB retention is better than my MC funy, (although I think MC takes his white edges too steep, my funy is much better now that I adjusted the angle) .

There are lots of micro micro chips along the edge,

View attachment 2915

not sure if this is due to the reported 64 hardness or just my poly work boards. The Carter did not exhibit the micro chipping in near this extent.

Micro chipping or not, I am happy with the purchase. I am going to play with some angles in the course of the next few months to see what I can make out of it.

Just to make things extra clear, are you saying the stainless lamination is not welded on properly to the white steel at the tip? wouldn't this lead to oxidation under the SS? can you post a pic please?

Just to make things extra clear, are you saying the stainless lamination is not welded on properly to the white steel at the tip? wouldn't this lead to oxidation under the SS? can you post a pic please?

Yes, that is correct, the lamination on the spine near the tip has a split, crack...I am not sure what the long term damage may be.

I will get a pic tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing like most white #1 knives it takes a good edge?

Sounds like something that will need to ground out.

This is what delamination looks like,

tipdelamination.jpg

What do you think? Long term problems, or just cosmetic?

Sorry, you have to click on the pic to make it big.

Last edited:
Might not cause long-term problems, but I think I'd send it back if it were mine.

In the bottom range of the seporation it seems to be in the core steel more than just a lamination split. Anyone else see it that way?

This may or may not be true, but I would think that unless it was like a divot, that things could get stuck in, particularly water, it wouldn't really matter that much. So what I mean is, if it is flush and there isn't like a divot there where the stainless doesn't cover the core, I would think you would just need to make sure it stays clean and dry there. I mean Isn't this part of the knife just basically exposed core steel, like the cutting edge? I have had this on a couple of knives and have noticed no difference. Perhaps though it is worse in person than in the picture.

It looks like a hole to me. I'd see about sending it back first and fixing it second. If you see microchipping, the edge is not being retained so I'm not sure what you mean by the edge retention being better than something that didn't microchip.

That looks like it will cause problems. I would send it back, in case you really like that knife I would try sanding it down to make it flush and also make sure there isn't a gap between the SS and the white steel. If there is then I would without a doubt send it back.

Back