Fujiwara denka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, how/why did you end up with TF denka as an object of desire?
Also, what knives do you currently have?
I had a colleague that has the shirogami tf version and I liked it. But I prefer as steel. I looked at it and debated for a couple months and I still am very interested on getting it.

I have the Koishi. and a Denka on the way (scheduled delivery......tomorrow) The Koishi is a good blade, I like the steel, it seems to take an edge pretty easily, and had good retention. I can usually go most of the work week with only a daily stropping at the end of the day. As someone mentioned above, the Koishi grind is slightly concave. The shoulders on mine were slightly eased by a previous owner, and I have gone a bit further with that. While it is thin behind the edge, I have never found it delicate, as it has a sort of thick spine and some taper coming out of the handle. It feels pretty robust.

Once the Denka comes, and I get a chance to use it a bit, I will check back in!

Way back in the day, my first Jknife was a kanehiro AS gyuto, forged by Hiroshi Kato (the father). Pretty similar to the Masakage Koishi. Same blacksmith (now son Yoshimi Kato), same Takefu AS (the kanehiro AS was a touch softer than the Koishi, if I remember correctly), stainless clad. This knife did not have the hollow ground bevels that almost all Takefu knives do now. The new Kanehiro are hollow ground as well and just aren't the same knife. It was a good knife that served me well - gifted to my best friend.

Denka is in another class. Far better edge retention, more aggressive cutting feel. I love the balance and feel in hand with the western handle. Has f*#$ing soul. These knives are made to work, and in that sense, they are beautiful. I love the wabi sabi, baby.

Just my opinion here: Takefu knives are a good option for someone just getting into Jknives. I think they are pretty well made, accessible to a lot of folks, and nice enough to look at. Coming from thick, heavy western knives they would be a revelation. They don't have the same character or feel in hand. They feel a little more "mass produced" as their work is geared towards being streamlined and done in large batches. I sharpen professionally and run into a lot of them - I do feel like I end up fixing a lot of warps and wavy edges with these knives.

It can look like a Denka, but a Denka it will never be.

Back