Fujiwara denka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asiandave

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering if the fujiwara denka gyuto is worth the money for that. Please share your thoughts also if you have other blacksmiths you like better please share.

Thanks

I’ll let you know in 6 weeks and counting! My sense is that the steel treatment is generally considered amazing, F&F is hit and miss, but most think the dice roll worth it. Also, resale on BST should be quick And you’ll get back what you paid or close to it (especially if you can handle the wait and buy direct which is cheaper than dealers).

Do ittttt. There will be inconsistencies so check your preferences against the specs.

Really the core steel is the kicker. It feels eager to get sharp.

I would say yes, they are. I have the 210 and 180 gyuto, both with French handles. They are amazing working knives, and if you like the feel of a western knife, it has a similar feel in terms of blade profile and handle feel. Fit and finish is rough on the steel, which is something that you either like or you don't. Handles on mine are very well done. The super blue core gets and stays very sharp, and in my experience has proven to be plenty durable. Plus, the finger notch in the heel is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_6430.jpeg
    IMG_6430.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 46
I would say yes, they are. I have the 210 and 180 gyuto, both with French handles. They are amazing working knives, and if you like the feel of a western knife, it has a similar feel in terms of blade profile and handle feel. Fit and finish is rough on the steel, which is something that you either like or you don't. Handles on mine are very well done. The super blue core gets and stays very sharp, and in my experience has proven to be plenty durable. Plus, the finger notch in the heel is awesome.
Do you think you have better knife cutting speed from western handles vs japanese style?

The Denka is one of the best cutters I've ever experienced and the only reason why I sold mine was because well... that's secret. Let's say I have a super Denka with a different finish on the way.

If you decide on a Maboroshi and care about F&F, I'd recommend checking out Sugi Cutlery as he has a collaboration with Forty Ounce up on there.

Depends upon your taste and preferences. Ultimately when facing anything except meat, I like my Tanaka Yohei240 , Wat Nakiri or Takada no hamono gyuto Tanaka in 210, but I have very laserish taste. When I face meat the Denka comes out and it is super. Mine has not been thinned. The edge retention is amazing but it’s like buying a gun and fretting over replacing the barrel. Eventually you have to do it. To each his own. If I had to only have one knife the Denka would not be it. The Tanaka Yohei would but those are my biases. There is no right answer. For some the Wat gyuto is the end all and be all. For some the Denka. For me Takada no hamono. If you have the resources then get it. It’s an amazing knife but it’s not for everyone. It has its role in my collection but it’s rarely the first I reach for, but these are my biases. To each his own. I will never sell mine. If that tells you anything. It’s an amazing knife. Just not my fav.

Do you think you have better knife cutting speed from western handles vs japanese style?

They are different tools - Like anything you'll be fastest and most proficient with whatever you use the most. Repetitious mechanicals tasks boil down to muscle memory. If you are new to the Japanese knife game, and like most, have mostly used mediocre western knives before this endeavor, I would think that a western handled Fujiwara will feel more familiar than other options but with the added greatness of Japanese steel.

Other adjacent points...
1. I prefer Wa handles, but my two Denka's are then only western handled knives in my collection of 50+. They are awesome.
2. Fujiwara does sell unhandled steel with a tang for Wa handles, but they are uncommon. Bernal has had them in the past if you want his steel with the traditional handle. Blade profile still leans western, though (moreso on the 210/240 then the 180 (ref the photos I posted)).

They are different tools - Like anything you'll be fastest and most proficient with whatever you use the most. Repetitious mechanicals tasks boil down to muscle memory. If you are new to the Japanese knife game, and like most, have mostly used mediocre western knives before this endeavor, I would think that a western handled Fujiwara will feel more familiar than other options but with the added greatness of Japanese steel.

Other adjacent points...
1. I prefer Wa handles, but my two Denka's are then only western handled knives in my collection of 50+. They are awesome.
2. Fujiwara does sell unhandled steel with a tang for Wa handles, but they are uncommon. Bernal has had them in the past if you want his steel with the traditional handle. Blade profile still leans western, though (moreso on the 210/240 then the 180 (ref the photos I posted)).

You also can order Denkas straight from Fujiwara with a wa handle. They have two varieties, a ho wood handle that can be had for no extra money, or an ebony handle that runs about $130. I have the wa handle in ho wood and I much prefer that style to Western handled knives. I believe you can special order the gyuto without the finger notch if you get the wa handle; I like the notch, so that's how I ordered mine.

You also can order Denkas straight from Fujiwara with a wa handle. They have two varieties, a ho wood handle that can be had for no extra money, or an ebony handle that runs about $130. I have the wa handle in ho wood and I much prefer that style to Western handled knives. I believe you can special order the gyuto without the finger notch if you get the wa handle; I like the notch, so that's how I ordered mine.
The finger notch is one of my fav features. Just doesn't make much sense on a Wa without a machi.

TFs must be bought to be used, and u will realise there are very few better for the job.

Wa handled denkas have seemed, to me, always very thin and screaming out of the box. I've yet to get a western that hasnt needed thinning.

Hi I am wondering if the fujiwara denka gyuto is worth the money for that. Please share your thoughts also if you have other blacksmiths you like better please share.

Thanks
TF Denkas are worth every penny. Sure, there’re cheaper (and more expensive) knives on the market, but they aren’t denkas—things just cost what they cost. Some love ‘em, some hate ‘em—I’m in the ‘love’ camp.

Yes, many other blacksmiths producing wonderful gyutos—Kato, Bryan, Yanick, Maz, Shig, to name a few—but won’t bother carefully listing without knowing your preferences, budget, etc. What’re you looking for?

Can’t know if you’ll jive with a denka just by reading about them—just buy one. You’re obviously intrigued by denkas.

3990580A-4590-4028-AD04-9D0EF421C529.jpeg

Last edited:
TF Denkas are worth every penny. Sure, there’re cheaper (and more expensive) knives on the market, but they aren’t denkas—things just cost what they cost. Some love ‘em, some hate ‘em—I’m in the ‘love’ camp.

Yes, many other blacksmiths producing wonderful gyutos—Kato, Bryan, Yanick, Maz, Shig, to name a few—but won’t bother carefully listing without knowing your preferences, budget, etc. What’re you looking for?

Can’t know if you’ll jive with a denka just by reading about them—just buy one. You’re obviously intrigued by denkas.

View attachment 172896
I am very curious the thing is the price tag 440 dollars for 195 mm denka. That's what makes me ask people who have had experience with this knife. It's either go for the denka or I was thinking masakage koishi but no one has one also.

I am very curious the thing is the price tag 440 dollars for 195 mm denka. That's what makes me ask people who have had experience with this knife. It's either go for the denka or I was thinking masakage koishi but no one has one also.
I don't have any masakage experience, but I've had a denka 195mm since January and it is phenomenal. Mine was used a few times before I acquired it, but still had factory edge and cut great. It had some tiny micro chips when it showed up, but they were easily taken care of by an SG1k after it's first use. I've since taken mine to some stones, from King 300 up to a mirror-like ~12k finish and have the edge finished on a Belgian Coticule. Super easy to sharpen and deburr. One of the easiest blades I've come across, which was surprising. The cutting feel is something else; I like to call it elegant violence. It cuts into stuff extremely easy, but with enough bite that you still have a feel for where the edge it at. It just has a "feel" to it, that my other blades don't have.
You should definitely give it a shot. Worst case, you sell it to buy a koishi when they come back in stock. Meanwhile, you get to scratch the denka itch and see what it's all about.

Curious? If $440 is the price, then that’s what it’ll cost to land a 195 denka.
Knives manufactured by different blacksmiths/factories can be very different—with knives you’re typically not buying ‘like for like.’ You’re not grocery shopping, looking for the best deal on hamburger—with knives you are often paying for brand; maker’s reputation/authorship; materials; rarity; etc.

When I’m hunting for a new gyuto, the questions like “can I afford it?” and “do I want it?” are the main considerations. I’ve learned never to be drawn into chasing the best “bang-for-buck,” lest I’ll end up with a bunch of knives I never really wanted in the first place.

If you’re torn between denka and masakage koishi, just follow your instincts, commit to one, and buy it. Worse that can happen is you hate, and sell it. If you’re sniffing around a denka, means you have the luxury to attain top end knives, which is great! Only opinion that matters, on which is better, is yours. I love reading what others say about knives—but take everything with a grain of salt.

IMHO. TF Denka over masakage koishi.

Last edited:
Masakage Koishis have been hard to find... I don't have a Koishi, but I do have a couple Masakage Yuki knives from the same blacksmith, Kato. In general, Masakages have slightly better fit and finish; the edges around the spine and choil are a tiny bit more eased than the Denka (but not much). All my Masakage blades (a Kumo, a Shimo, two Yukis) feel lighter and more nimble than my Denka. None of my Masakages are made with aogami super, so I really can't compare steel, but the Koishi is AS steel at the core, just like the Denka. I have not seen a Koishi in a length other than 180mm or 210mm, so I don't know if you can get one in 195, as you can with the Denka.

I like my Masakage knives and I think a Koishi would be a great choice. That being said, I'm just getting to know my Denka (a 210, not a 195), but I really love the way it feels in the hand and how it cuts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either knife; since the resale market is so strong, you usually can sell for just a bit less than you paid, so the risk of trying is very low.

Some retailers like Knifewear and RealSharpKnife carry both, so they should know what you're interested in.
They've both been responsive in my experience.

https://realsharpknife.com/collections/masakage/products/koishi-170mm-bunkahttps://knifewear.com/products/masakage-koishi-as-gyuto-240mm?variant=5321389956

I don’t have Koishi but have tried Kanehiro AS from Yoshimi Kato, similar profile and grind except different finish. It has that high thin hollowness behind the edge, very delicate lasery cutting feel. I think Denka is more robust in terms of grind, it’s better for tougher tasks liked cutting steak and probably have better edge retention cause of the heat treatment.

Thanks

BTW, of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, how/why did you end up with TF denka as an object of desire?
Also, what knives do you currently have?

Back