Güde alpha chef knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

Anyone familiar with the Güde Messer Alpha chef knife.

I am looking for a sturdy German knife that can take hard use. I know I could just go for a zwilling or wüsthof. But I like the Güde wooden handles. And the fact that they are hand finished.

So..anyone who knows if they are any good ?

Thanks.
Søren

Thick.

If you like the Germans, the Messermeister Meridian merits consideration. No bolster, nicely balanced a little blade forward, well finished. The basic pakka handle is about $100 USD, they get into some fancy wood for a premium.

Thick.

If you like the Germans, the Messermeister Meridian merits consideration. No bolster, nicely balanced a little blade forward, well finished. The basic pakka handle is about $100 USD, they get into some fancy wood for a premium.

Thick? You mean the spinal is thick? 😊

I have looked at the Messermeister..and it is a nice knife. But you can't buy them in Europe. Here they are sold under the Burgvogel brand. It is my understanding that Burgvogel is the manufacturer of Messermeister.

I would like to have a wood handle. And both the Burgvogel Oliva and walnut handles are beautiful. I just can't help thinking that it looks like a design that will end up with loose handles. Anyone know how Messermeister/Burgvogel handles are attached?

Anyway a bolster doesn't bother the user of the knife.

I was looking for something more comfortable than a sharp heel against my thumb for in-hand work, so I bought a Messermeister paring knife for the semi-bolster, I guess you would call it. Doesn't interfere with sharpening like a typical Wusthof bolster, and the wooden handle on their Elite lines is really nice too, but not sure about longevity. I wanted to like this knife but it's thick as a brick behind the edge, like a swiss army knife, so I returned it. The handle felt solid to me, and might be worth all the thinning required.

Heard good things about the bread knife but never good things about their chefknives. Maybe also look at Herder/Windmühlenmesser.

Basically all modern German production knives (minus Herder) have automated flat machine grinds with too much material behind the edge.
For someone with a belt grinder (and the skills) it's a quick job to thin it to a slightly convex thinner grind to make a decent cutter out of it. But thinning on stones wouldn't be really worth it imo.
In terms of f&f güde, dick, wusthof, burgvogel etc all pretty good, so that shouldn't be really a concern imo.
Personally I don't think the güde handles are too comfortable, also their knives are pretty handle heavy, but that's also a preference thing, because I know people who like them....

At the end you need to try a few different knives yourself, to see what you like

Basically all modern German production knives (minus Herder) have automated flat machine grinds with too much material behind the edge.
For someone with a belt grinder (and the skills) it's a quick job to thin it to a slightly convex thinner grind to make a decent cutter out of it. But thinning on stones wouldn't be really worth it imo.
In terms of f&f güde, dick, wusthof, burgvogel etc all pretty good, so that shouldn't be really a concern imo.
Personally I don't think the güde handles are too comfortable, also their knives are pretty handle heavy, but that's also a preference thing, because I know people who like them....

At the end you need to try a few different knives yourself, to see what you like

Thanks for your input 😊

Normally I would go out and try them in my hand. But since the knife is a present for my dad, it wouldn't help anyway.

I ended up buying a wusthof Crafter. It has the classic profile and looks I think he will like. And I guess the brand assure a descent level of quality.

Also I now have the time to take it to a pro sharpener and let him make a convex edge and polish. Before giving it away.

Back