D. Martell Gallery - Hiromoto AS... Full Spa Treatment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's two Hiromotos that have been gone over top to bottom. They're headed to Austria. :)

A couple of things to note....

1. The koa is killer. The pictures look OK but in real life the handles have such nice movement and character.

2. The gyuto had twice as much cladding on the left side than the right as well as a slight over grind on both sides in the kanji section. The overgrind is an issue that I've seen off and on over the years (mostly on the right side under the kanji) but the left side being thick is a recent (this year?) situation I've been seeing rather consistently. This was a brand new knife from Japan.

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010031.JPG

P1010033.JPG

How deep were those overgrinds if I may say so? How do you deal with them? Will they eventually affect the profile?

I can't say how deep as in a measurement because they're very slight but you'd see it if you laid the knife down flat on a stone and made scratches across the blade's face, you would have a section that doesn't get hit by the stone. That's sort of how this came up for me, I had belt scratches everywhere but in those sections. It's REAL tricky to make the face of a blade appear textured all the same when one section is sitting lower than the rest and even more challenging is not blowing it out at the edge.

Like I said above, normally this is only seen on the kanji side, which makes for a much easier issue to deal with since the left side is solid. In this case both sides have overgrinds that go down to the edge. I wish I would have seen the left side before working on the knife but I'm not used to looking for this problem.

Will it affect the profile over time? I think that it could because it's damn close to doing that now.

Thanks, Dave! Have seen these light overgrinds myself with recent batches when thinning or polishing behind the edge. Not too deep, I guess. But I see your problem if you're looking for an even appearance.

These knives are... They're ok... :tease::rofl2::bigeek:

Seriously, let me know if the deal falls through, I'd take them!

Wait a second, these are MINE already, my preciousssssssssses!!! :viking:

Wood came from Myron @ Dreamburls, btw.

Dave, I had high expectations and I can tell already, only from looking at the pics, that you have exceeded them! I absolutely LOVE how these 2 cuties turned out!!! THANK YOU!!!

These knives are... They're ok... :tease::rofl2::bigeek:

Seriously, let me know if the deal falls through, I'd take them!

Wait a second, these are MINE already, my preciousssssssssses!!! :viking:

Wood came from Myron @ Dreamburls, btw.

Dave, I had high expectations and I can tell already, only from looking at the pics, that you have exceeded them! I absolutely LOVE how these 2 cuties turned out!!! THANK YOU!!!

Thank you for the work Manuel! :)

Please click on the image below for more pictures and information about these two knives....

Here's a 240mm Hiromoto AS gyuto that's been thinned/etched, rounded spine/choil, sharpened & handle upgraded. The owner wanted to take a walk on the wild side so he went with a purple dyed box elder, copper liners & pins. I think that he's got a unique one here for sure! :)

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

the last knife is mine, and I'm in love. The pics don't do it justice. The copper and the wood look amazing. Not to mention how sharp it is now. It's like buying a $1000 custom knife!

Here's two Hiromotos that have been gone over top to bottom. They're headed to Austria. :)

A couple of things to note....

1. The koa is killer. The pictures look OK but in real life the handles have such nice movement and character.

2. The gyuto had twice as much cladding on the left side than the right as well as a slight over grind on both sides in the kanji section. The overgrind is an issue that I've seen off and on over the years (mostly on the right side under the kanji) but the left side being thick is a recent (this year?) situation I've been seeing rather consistently. This was a brand new knife from Japan.
you have no idea how beautiful these are when you hold them in your hands...

uhm... dave... you probably have an idea!

Full spa treatment for this Hiromoto AS Gyuto...

Dyed Maple Burl with nickel silver pins used for the handle.

Blade thinned, spine/choil rounded, etched for appearance, & sharpened.

P1010020.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

P1010034.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010041.JPG

P1010043.JPG

P1010045.JPG

wondering since these are no longer available except from hiromotos to go, something we can change it to? Izakuchi? from Jon

I really like the look of the maple on that, reminds me of the blue Burlsource maple.

Just curious, when thinning a blade like this does it allow the opportunity to correct some of the asymmetry? I know you can't put metal back, but I thought I remember reading in an earlier refurb that the cladding on one side was thicker than the other ootb.

That is really sexy Dave.

Thanks Jim

wondering since these are no longer available except from hiromotos to go, something we can change it to? Izakuchi? from Jon

Good question....

Just curious, when thinning a blade like this does it allow the opportunity to correct some of the asymmetry? I know you can't put metal back, but I thought I remember reading in an earlier refurb that the cladding on one side was thicker than the other ootb.

Is it possible to correct asymmetry? Nope, not even remotely possible without making it look like a turd. The best I can do is to correct for an even grind/thickness of the blade and hope for the cladding to look OK in the end.

Dave do I look like chinacats I am clearly a monkey and not a dog. :tease:

Here's another 240mm Hiromoto AS gyuto post spa treatment. This knife is this customer's 3rd spa treated Hiromoto. :thumbsup:

P1010010.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010024.JPG

Latest posts

Back